The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Old 1 Week Ago   #1
Giuseppe

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Giuseppe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Axolotl aggression?

I have 3 axolotl in a 55 gallon tank, two siblings a leucistic and a wild type and an unrelated golden albino. They're all about 6 inches long. Within the past week the wild type has been chasing and nipping at the golden. I thought I might not have been feeding enough so I started feeding twice a day. They eat about 4 red wigglers every day and get frozen bloodworms, freeze dried tubifex and shrimp pellets as occasional treats. I thought that fixed the problem but today the wild type attacked the golden, seriously injuring his front foot. I have the wild type separated from the rest now but I'm wondering if there's any reason besides hunger that this could be happening? Or am I still not feeding enough? It was my understanding that axolotl aren't territorial or aggressive. Could it be a problem with my husbandry? I would like the. all to be together someday but would only do it once golden has fully healed and I have a solution to the problem

Giuseppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #2
Tye

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Tye has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Axolotl aggression?

Rumor has it that juvenile wild types can be more aggressive towards other color morphs, especially lighter ones. They tend to settle down when mature. My wild type is with a melanistic and they get on ok.
I'm not sure the validity of the idea that wilds are more aggressive, I've just read it from several other keepers.
It's good that you separated out the problem one, perhaps when they're all adults you could try reintroducing?

Tye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3
nai live
(xxianxx)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 7
Rep: xxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Axolotl aggression?

Aggression in juvies is generally food based or due to size difference. In their first year of life they are trying to put size on, they are generally hungry and some will deliberately target tank mates as a food source. As adults this tendency diminishes but occasionally axolotls don't outgrow this phase and are just antisocial with similar sized tank mates. They need to be isolated or I have had success in keeping them with much larger tank mates, this knocks the aggression out of them.
With juvies you can reduce aggressive episodes by feeding more regularly, increasing tank size and increasing the number of hides. If these methods don't work isolation is fine till adult, then you can try reintroducing them.