The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Book Reviews Post information about books and articles you have read.

Old 12th August 2010   #1
Ken Worthington

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Ken Worthington has given consistently excellent advice and informationKen Worthington has given consistently excellent advice and informationKen Worthington has given consistently excellent advice and informationKen Worthington has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default 'Amphibians' by John Coburn

Hi, I've just recieved a book that I found on a certain auction site for a modest 2.49 including post.

It's entitled "Amphibians" by John Coborn, and published by T.F.H.

I've read reviews of two of his books (same publisher) on this forum, so I had an idea of what to expect.....

My first thoughts as I opened it were that it had lots of decent colour photographs.
I headed straight for the section on axolotls, where I found two colour photos of a leucistic, one from above and another a close-up of it's face. The captions for these photos described them as albinos! (They were light pink-ish in colour but clearly had black eyes with a hint of blue around the edge.)
The text went on to say that two axololts can live happily in a 24x12x12 inch tank (seems very cramped to me) with 2 inches of medium-grade gravel ().......I stopped reading at that point and went on to find the section on African Clawed Frogs.....
To read that ACFs have been "successfully introduced to southern California" came as a surprise, as the context would infer that this is a good idea.
It also recommends keeping them at 83*F which seems far too high!!

I haven't read the sections on other amphibians, so I can't really comment.

This book is aimed at beginners and is well illustrated, but I can't trust the information given in it........which is the point of a book......so I think I'll cut-out the pictures and give them to the kids to make a 'collage' from them!

Old 12th August 2010   #2
Michael Shrom
(michael)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Rep: michael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: 'Amphibians' by John Coburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Worthington View Post
Hi, I've just recieved a book that I found on a certain auction site for a modest 2.49 including post.

This book is aimed at beginners and is well illustrated, but I can't trust the information given in it........which is the point of a book......so I think I'll cut-out the pictures and give them to the kids to make a 'collage' from them!
That sounds like a great idea. Their are some good TFH books. Many are written by people that never kept the animals they were hired to write about. Many are rewrites of bad information given in other TFH books.

michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2010   #3
A. Macxicanum
(Mac Myers)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Mac Myers has given good advice and informationMac Myers has given good advice and information

Heh... some of them were written 40 years ago.

Old 12th August 2010   #4
Michael Shrom
(michael)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Rep: michael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Myers View Post
Heh... some of them were written 40 years ago.
40 years ago is not that long. I was keeping newts then. A cool book I have a copy of is "Fresh Water Aquaria ..." by Rev. Gregory C. Bateman. It was written in 1890. Reverand Bateman wrote from first hand experience. The book does give some advice that is applicable today.

michael is offline   Reply With Quote