The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Old 26th March 2007   #1
jens

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I have a juvenile taricha for over month now and it is in a smaller tank, it has been eating regularly. I have an adult taricha in a larger tank. Would it be safe for the juvenile to co-exist with the adult?

Old 26th March 2007   #2
Ryan
(ryan)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: ryan has started on the right path

Maybe, I think that poses a risk to the smaller one though. You could try when they are the same size, you'll have to keep an eye on them if you do put them together regardless of size.

ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2007   #3
cameron

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I think it would be okay. How large is it?

Old 26th March 2007   #4
jens

Gallery Images:
Comments:

tiny compared to the adult. they just look so lonely. but big enough that i dont think the juvenile could be eaten.

Old 27th March 2007   #5
foster

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Jens,
The larger one may not try and devour the smaller one outright however during feeding it may inadvertently bite it if the two are close by. This could cause severe damage if not death. If it were me I would keep them separate. Do not worry about them being "lonely". Newts are generally not social animals outside of the breeding season and even then it is only for reproduction. They do not possess emotions.
Chip

Old 27th March 2007   #6
jennifer

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I agree, you don't need to worry about loneliness. I would say wait until the juvenile is larger.

Tags
adult, juvenile, living, taricha

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 1 (Set)

danchristopher