The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Old 22nd August 2007   #1
Babidi

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Babidi has started on the right path
Default Weird paddletail behaviour

Hi all,

My paddletail newt recently shed and ate all his skin - but since, he's been incredibly active. He's been running laps around his tank, climbing over all his shelters and plants, and so forth.

But the weirdest thing about his newly energetic behaviour is that he seems to be trying to mate with himself - or, at least, flirt with himself. What I mean is that he'll curl up in a circle and fan himself for minutes on end with his tail, or he'll start chasing it around in circles and nipping lightly at it. He seems to be in perfect condition, and he's always been rather active, especially when stimulated by the placement of his bloodworms or the urge to bite my fingers when they're in his tank, but I've never seen him do something like this. It's pretty funny to watch, but I'd just like to make sure there's nothing wrong with him doing that to himself. He's climbing a tree now. I think he believes he's a monkey...

Anyhow. Thanks in advance.

Babidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2007   #2
MRIGUY

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 9
Rep: MRIGUY has given consistently excellent advice and informationMRIGUY has given consistently excellent advice and informationMRIGUY has given consistently excellent advice and informationMRIGUY has given consistently excellent advice and informationMRIGUY has given consistently excellent advice and information

That is exactly how my wife described me to her parents before they had a chance to meet me. What a small world.

MRIGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2007   #3
Babidi

Nationality:

You're terrible. Haha.

Old 22nd August 2007   #4
Ian Rigg
(rigsby)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: rigsby is a mainstay of Caudata.orgrigsby is a mainstay of Caudata.orgrigsby is a mainstay of Caudata.orgrigsby is a mainstay of Caudata.orgrigsby is a mainstay of Caudata.orgrigsby is a mainstay of Caudata.orgrigsby is a mainstay of Caudata.orgrigsby is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Sounds like a very happy newt.

rigsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2007   #5
Heather Jewett
(jewett)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 25
Rep: jewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

I have noticed my C. pyrrho's biting their tails when they are shedding, and I think they may be trying to loosen and get rid of skin that did not entirely shed. I have never noticed my Pachytriton doing this, however. She does do quite a bit of tail fanning, even though she is all by herself.

"Anyone who is disturbed by the idea of newts in a nightclub is potentially dangerous." Frank Zappa
jewett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2007   #6
Babidi

Nationality:

Although he seems to have stopped the tail-nipping and fanning, my paddletail's still very energetic. He'll stand up to his full height in the water, run a few laps, throw his gravel around, dig a tree out, and then power-nap in his feeding area. I think he slept at some point during the night, but as soon as the lights were on this morning, he was out of his log and back into running laps again.

Old 23rd August 2007   #7
mapleotte

Nationality:
Rep: mapleotte has started on the right path

That's so funny. I could only wish I had that much energy. I am going to have to acquire a newt someday :)

mapleotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2007   #8
Babidi

Nationality:

The strange thing is that he's an older newt, maybe around seven years old now. In his younger days, he wasn't ever nearly this active. I wonder if he's growing something illegal in that log of his...

But, there's nothing that could be wrong with him doing this, then? He still eats like a horse, has perfect eyesight (ie, he'll follow my finger around the entire tank if I guide him), and is fully aquatic, as his species tends to be.

Old 23rd August 2007   #9
Heather Jewett
(jewett)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 25
Rep: jewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Check your water quality. If anything is off, it could cause stress to the newt and cause it to act erratic or restless. If water chemistry is within normal limits, I wouldn't worry too much.

"Anyone who is disturbed by the idea of newts in a nightclub is potentially dangerous." Frank Zappa
jewett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2007   #10
Babidi

Nationality:

Unfortunately, I don't really have any water-testing supplies, but I've cycled his water from the same source for about two years now. I used to use pure spring water, but they've stopped selling it in the large jugs I used to buy for him, so now I use tap water that's been left to stand for a month or so. A little bit of Pisces Plus is added after every addition to the tank from a cycling, for any trace of remaining chlorine. This is the first time he's ever spazzed, although he seems to be in perfect condition nonetheless.

He has been calming down a bit recently. He managed to go to sleep about three times today, then explored his tank and found new shelter in the jungle of trees he has set up for him in the corner of it. Way to go, big guy.

Old 24th August 2007   #11
Carl & Jennifer
(CarlNJen)

Nationality:
Rep: CarlNJen has started on the right path
Thumbs up

Sounds like an extremely happy newt to me!

Might be best to invest in a test kit to be on the safe side? you can never be absolutely sure without one.

Other than that! I hope my newts will be as entertaining to watch as yours!

Carl

CarlNJen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
behaviour, paddletail, weird