The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Large Aquatic Salamanders (Hellbenders/Cryptobranchids, Necturus, Siren, etc.) This topic covers Cryptobranchids like the hellbender and Asian giant salamanders, as well as sirens, mud puppies, and amphiumas.

Old 31st October 2004   #1
Tim Johnson
(TJ)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: TJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

A. japonicus probably leads a 99% aquatic life but it's not incapable of leaving the water and walking on land to circumvent obstacles in the river.

Here is one at Tokyo's Ueno Zoo today trying to climb over an obstacle (...and failing):

Click the image to open in full size.

TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2004   #2
Tim Johnson
(TJ)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: TJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

And another:

2668aClick the image to open in full size.

TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2004   #3
henk

Gallery Images:
Comments:

The more I look at it the more I feel like there's a pancake becoming alive...

Overall very very impressive animals. I've had the luck of seeing some alive and they were incredibellly impossive. Wanted to tkae a picture and for the first time I faced a problem that you don't encounter much while shooting amphibian images : the animals didn't fit on the image ..

Wouldn't love to keep one (lots a work and food/fingers) but sure love to observe them...

Old 2nd November 2004   #4
benjamin

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I went to that zoo three years ago It was nice seeing the giants.

Old 5th November 2006   #5
sal

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I have seen them crawl over rocks that took most of their body out of water. I do believe the can move some on land, but it is more in a serpentine motion than crawling.

Old 6th November 2006   #6
edward

Gallery Images:
Comments:

They have been documented walking up and around obstatcles like dams in the wild. They can walk just fine...

Ed

Old 6th November 2006   #7
annmarie

Gallery Images:
Comments:

What an impressive creature. I hope the conservation goes ok. Intersting enough most of my friends in Japan had no idea what it was. Some even said "oh that not in Japan, that Chinese".

Sometimes I wonder if this creature led to some of the habbits of godzilla, such as godzilla coming from water and when there is pollution he gets sad and very very angry(and dooms the world)

Tags
andrias, habits, japonicus, land