The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Large Aquatic Salamanders (Hellbenders/Cryptobranchids, Necturus, Siren, etc.) This topic covers Cryptobranchids like the hellbender and Asian giant salamanders, as well as sirens, mud puppies, and amphiumas.

Old 5th March 2006   #1
Tim Johnson
(TJ)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: TJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

My siren has laid eggs, but I assume they're not fertile as I've had her for about 3 years but never with a male -- unless, that is, this species has incredible sperm retention capabilities like I've heard fire salamanders have.

Click the image to open in full size.

TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2006   #2
Tim Johnson
(TJ)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: TJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Old 5th March 2006   #3
Tim Johnson
(TJ)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

Old 5th March 2006   #4
kieron

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Nice pics
i did not know that about fire salamanders so you do lean somethink new every day lol

Old 5th March 2006   #5
edward

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Hi Tim,

I would let them sit another couple of days to be sure but the eggs do not look to be fertile.
Otherwise congrats. That is an excellant start.

Ed

Old 6th March 2006   #6
Tim Johnson
(TJ)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

Thanks Ed. I have separated some of the eggs from the tank to a container with aeration, and will observe what happens (though without high expectations).

By the way, has anybody ever successfully bred sirens in captivity? As far as I know, here in Japan at least, nobody has, with the exception of sirens that were already gravid when acquired, and that laid their eggs under stress or otherwise. Not that I'm claiming to have bred them here for the first time! Click the image to open in full size.

Does anybody happen to know where and how sirens typically lay their eggs? I noticed the eggs have sticky strands between them like Andrias eggs do.

This is the same siren that I posted pics of in this thread:

http://www.caudata.org/forum/message...tml?1132848737

I've had her since March 2003, so three years now.

Well, if nothing else, I now know for sure that I have a female. I'll be on the lookout for a male from now on...

Old 6th March 2006   #7
Tim Johnson
(TJ)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

Old 7th March 2006   #8
edward

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Hi Tim,

As far as I know there aren't any records of captive breeding in this species and to answer your other question
http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Si...termedia.shtmlClick the image to open in full size.

Ed

Old 7th March 2006   #9
edward

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Also as far as I know, it appears that sirens do not have the capability of sperm retention but at least in reptiles this does not mean that the eggs may not be fertile as during meiosis, the polar body can act as in place of the sperm resulting in a fertile embryo. At least in reptiles this results in male offspring.

Ed

Old 7th March 2006   #10
jennifer

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Wow, that's very cool, Tim. Even if they aren't fertile, you have witnessed a rare event!

Old 9th March 2006   #11
Tim Johnson
(TJ)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

That sure would be great Ed, but I'm sorry to report the eggs have all gone fuzzy.

Jen, you're of course welcome to use any of those egg pics at CC ;)

Tags
eggs, siren