The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Near and Middle Eastern Newts (Neurergus) Arguably the most beautiful newts in the world, this Asian genus is highly desired by many hobbyists.

Old 23rd March 2006   #1
jennifer

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I have eggs from my N. strauchii again this year, happily. Something I noticed last year, and see again, is that there are a surprisingly large % of embryos that develop, but die before hatching. Out of my current batch of 14 embryos (all about the same age), I have 2 that are clearly defective.

The first photo is one that appears normal for its age. Second, one that has a bulbous abdomen. And third, a very abnormally-shaped one. The third one wiggles, but it came out of its egg prematurely and I'm sure it will die soon.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 23rd March 2006   #2
kyle

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Thats very interesting, and strange. I'd assume genetics is the most practical reason for the mutations, as I'm sure you may not have an extremely diverse group? Are there any other's not from the same group as yours in the U.S.?

Best of luck on succesfuly raising them again this year!

Old 23rd March 2006   #3
jennifer

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I'm sure mine are inbred. There is only one bloodline of CB N. s. strauchii in the US. There may be some WC specimens "out there" but not part of the current breeding pool.

Old 24th March 2006   #4
justin slate
(justin)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: justin has shown reliable knowledge

The third picture certainly caught my eye...One of the C. popei I received hatched with the exact same type of swelling. Except for the difference in species it could be the same photo...Makes me wonder if this is a genetic mutation or some type of infection/illness? Maybe bacterial?

Really interesting. We're currently having trouble with our digital camera, otherwise I'd post a pic. of the animal.

justin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
embryos, mutant, strauchii

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 24 (Set)

Alpin13, andes, BILLY JAMES, emraldharlequin, enricolatiano, felizycontento, fishrep, Glow, jAfFa CaKe, Jaku, Jari B, MikeSTL, MiniraBuster, Molch, neel, NewtZoo, Revan, robkeulers, Sierra419, skyler, Steve Roman, Tim Robin, TurtleInc, xMIDNIGHTx