The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Near and Middle Eastern Newts (Neurergus) Arguably the most beautiful newts in the world, this Asian genus is highly desired by many hobbyists.

Old 22nd February 2005   #1
jennifer

Gallery Images:
Comments:

OK, my N. strauchii (1:2) have amazingly produced over 100 eggs in the past 6 days. Unfortunately, the vast majority are infertile. My husband has an good camera and took some photos for me.

First some bad eggs, of various appearances:

Click the image to open in full size.

In the past 2 days, some of the eggs laid are fertile. Here are two photos of some good ones (still mixed with some duds I think):

Now, the questions for the people who have ever raised this species:

Is it OK to keep the eggs at 17C (thus warming them from the 11-14C temperature of the adults' tank)? Is it OK to remove the eggs from the rocks? This does not seem to damage them.

Anything else I need to watch for? I am keeping them in dim light, as Frank suggested. Most are in flowing water.

Old 22nd February 2005   #2
henk

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Jennifer I have rarely seen Neurergus eat their own eggs and the larvae are very quick swimmers. I rasied my larvae in the parentla tank without troubles, but the bottom had peddles/stones between which the larvae could hide. I would not touch upon the eggs from the rocks. If you want to get them out of the parental tank after all, I would rather take out the whole rock.

These eggs are very sensitive to saprolegnia and to being eaten by flatworms (which was my main problem). Strauchii indeed lays betweehn the temp's you are telling 11-14 till 15°C, if tem goes up they will stop. Baranii lays eggs in much cooler temp's around 5 to 7°C already (nature).

Old 22nd February 2005   #3
jennifer

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Thank you, Henk. I also notice that the adults are not eating the eggs. The group of eggs in the last photo are still on the rock, but moved to a different tank at 17C. If they do not lay too many more eggs, I will try leaving the rest with the adults. Do you know approximately how long the eggs take to hatch?

Old 22nd February 2005   #4
henk

Gallery Images:
Comments:

It depends alot on tempreture (regulating the speed). I lost my measurements when my laptop was stolen sopem years ago. To my experience hte adults will lay eggs over a longer period depending on the temperature . With me they continued to lay eggs over more then a month at temperatures between 12 and 14°C.

Old 23rd February 2005   #5
sergé

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Henk...where do you get the 5-7 degrees for barani from? Nature? Where is this cited?

Old 2nd March 2005   #6
john

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Congratulations Jen, and good luck with them Click the image to open in full size..

Old 10th April 2005   #7
jennifer

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Update: here are some photos of the strauchii larvae. I lost a LOT of eggs, with less than 25% reaching hatching. Many were infertile. More perplexing, some began development, but had gross abnormalities (large, fluid-filled pockets), or simply died at random ages before hatching.

I found no obvious difference between eggs left attached to the rock versus eggs scraped off the rock and kept in tubs. The ones in tubs hatched a lighter color (the tubs were on a light-colored background), but otherwise the larvae and % hatched seem the same (I did not do exact counts).

It took roughly 4 weeks from laying to hatching at a temperature of 16-17C. At hatching, they emerged ready to start eating. They take small daphnia and copepods readily. I'm not sure if they are eating the chopped blackworms yet. I have had no deaths among the hatchlings, so they appear to be quite hardy at this stage.

Please do not write asking for offspring. This year's litter is not mine to disperse.

Old 11th April 2005   #8
juraj

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Old 11th April 2005   #9
Tim Johnson
(TJ)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: TJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Really fantastic, Jen! Click the image to open in full size.

I hope you coax get your husband to take some close-up shots of the larvae...

I see what looks like an air tube. Are you using a filter or airstone or just doing water changes?

TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2005   #10
jennifer

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Tim - I'm just using an airstone and doing siphoning to remove debris. Most filters suck up daphnia, so I don't use them with larvae at this stage. I wouldn't even bother with the airstones, except that this is a stream-dwelling species, so they may appreciate good oxygenation and a bit of movement.

Old 13th April 2005   #11
sergé

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I saw how a german succesfuly raised the larvae of N. s. barani. He did it in flat plastic containers (10 cm high with only 5 cm of water and 60x30 cm floor) with a few hiding places and just an airstone. So your technique is good.

Old 18th May 2005   #12
jennifer

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Here are photos as of today...

Old 18th May 2005   #13
ralf

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Very nice pictures. I keep my fingers crossed for the further development of your larvae.

Old 19th May 2005   #14
hayden

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Wonderful Jen, very cute little guys.

Old 19th May 2005   #15
joseph

Gallery Images:
Comments:

All I can say is congratulations Jenn! Do keep us updated.

Old 1st June 2005   #16
jennifer

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Three-and-a-half months old, and the eldest are starting to color up nicely. Funny, though, they don't really look like the juvenile color pattern. The spots seem to start out rather large and blotchy.

(Message edited by jennewt on June 01, 2005)

Old 1st June 2005   #17
david

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Looks like they're coming along nicely Jen

Tags
bad, eggs, good, neurergus, ugly

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 31 (Set)

Alejandro, andes, andrew_taricha, axiegaz, Azhael, CBuckle, damien, dano, enricolatiano, felizycontento, Jaku, jimmies1974, joemoore, marcfrogguy, MikeSTL, MiniraBuster, mladaboleslaw, Molch, neel, rattailz, Red Eft14, robkeulers, ryanscroggins, salamanderfreak, skyler, Steve Roman, Tim Robin, Tucoleonyx, xMIDNIGHTx, Yansolo