The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Near and Middle Eastern Newts (Neurergus) Arguably the most beautiful newts in the world, this Asian genus is highly desired by many hobbyists.

Old 22nd November 2003   #1
connor

Gallery Images:
Comments:

hello
does anyone know how mucha kaisers spotted newt would cost?

Old 22nd November 2003   #2
aaron

Gallery Images:
Comments:

$150+ for each would be a very low guess-that is, if you can find them.

~Aaron

Old 23rd November 2003   #3
john

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I think we should actively discourage people from trying to acquiring these newts. Why? They may be beautiful but they are very shy. I raised mine from very small larvae that I received over a year ago. They are now about adult size. The slightest vibration can make them panic, they can't stand normal tank lighting (they will hide continuously) and for those people looking for beautiful "pets", well they may be beautiful but they must certainly be classed as a reluctant pet.

This species isn't for most people and certainly not for those that come to the hobby from the point of view of keeping unusual pets. I'm not one to try to keep a species to myself. I think most people would be disappointed with these newts and going by reports from experienced hobbyists they frequently die due to stress-related diseases brought on by unsuitable conditions that are fine for other species.

Old 23rd November 2003   #4
eddie

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I dont know about kaiser newts but I agree on the neurergus being shy with the tank light on,I have a few neurergus strauchi that very seldom are seen with the tank light on,they are still juvenile but getting big quickly,must be eating in the dark.I have witnessed them eating on land and in water but only when i was very still watching.

Tags
kaisers, newts, spotted

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 42 (Set)

Alejandro, Alex Jimenez, andes, Axomarielle, Chinadog, Chris Newman, Davo, enricolatiano, horsefieldi, ivan, JacksonR, Jaku, Jan, Jari B, JessKB, jmailhot, joshfrogz72, Kayvon, kraken474, Linus, MikeSTL, mindfrog, MiniraBuster, nateb, neel, Otterwoman, Psuedotriton, pyroninja1524, Red Eft14, Revan, robkeulers, SalaManda63, sam57, sean n dad, spiny tails, Steve Roman, Tucoleonyx, whiteblaze11, Yansolo, Zombie Frawg