The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) The largest, and one of the most diverse groups of salamanders, these salamanders have all evolved to breathe solely through their skin and are found almost exclusively in North America.

Old 26th November 2006   #1
kamil

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Hi all,

I just uploaded two videos showing the defensive behaviour of Desmognathus ochrophaeus and the other one shows how good they can jump. You can find them under: http://eng.amphibien-net.de/index.shtml?videos

Best Greetings,

Kamil

Old 26th November 2006   #2
mark

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Very interesting, Kamil. I've not seen my Desmogs perform that defensive behaviour. They always adopt the "move at the speed of lightening" defensive strategy. They can jump quite well. I have seen them launch themselves 5-6 inches in the air from standing.

Old 26th November 2006   #3
kamil

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Hi Mark,

I was shocked when I saw that. It happened while putting him into the tank. First I thought that he (the salamander) is injured but he is still alive and is really quick now. What i missed to film is how wide he opened his mouth.

Best Greetings,

Kamil

Old 26th November 2006   #4
cameron

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Nice videos!

I have Plethodon glutinosus aswell and they eat the same way; I have four of them and i feed them termites and soft shelled mealworms and beetle larvae. Wasn't that a termite you fed the one in the video?

Anyways nice videos, i hope to see some more.

-Cameron

Old 27th November 2006   #5
kamil

Gallery Images:
Comments:

The glutinosus video was taken by René Zahl. He gave his animals Drosophila and has an IR-Camera so he was able to film that.
On Plethodontids I have only those Desmognathus, Eurycea bislineata, Plethodon cinereus and Gyrinophilus - but the Desmognathus are the only ones I have taken videos so far. I hope also that I will be able to provide you with more videos in future!

Best Greetings,

Kamil

Tags
behaviour, capability, defensive, desmognathus, jumping, ochrophaeus

(View-All Members who have read this thread since 8th December 2019, 05:53 (Set) (Clear)

There are no names to display.