The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

Old 29th June 2007   #1
RINA

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: RINA has started on the right path
Unhappy Rina's moved post - Fungus on axies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapo View Post
Stephen didn't you say that before in a previous fungus post? Yes you DO need to saltbath again. Do twice daily saltbaths for at least 3-4 more days , just because it's dropped off doesn't mean it's not going to recur, as mentioned in other threads.

You should try and get your water tested weekly to ensure your water parameters are ok, if not sooner. And don't forget or leave it as your axolotl is very obviously getting stressed about something (water parameters most likely) for it to develop fungus every couple of month

If you're unable to do that then just make sure you do waterchanges (only 20-30%) every 2-3 days, not weekly and not in one huge waterchange because you forgot to or were tired.

It's the only way to ensure you are keeping on top of water parameters if you're unable to test your water regularly.
HI THERE....
Please help...you guys seem to know alot more than the petshops here in South Africa.
I think my axie has funfus..I asked my petshop, but they told me that it could be that he is buzy to
(i dont konw what you call it in English, but it is when you get rid of old skin )
It looks like there is thing stuck to him...what do I do?
I read that you seperate him from the others, and give him a salt bathe (4ts salt on 2L water), twice a day for 10 min each.
Is this normal salt ?
And I don't want to sound Blond, but what is a waterparameter?
I'm trying my best here..both with the langues aswell as my beloved Axies....got two

Last edited by kapo; 29th June 2007 at 21:35. Reason: Rina, I moved your post to a new thread to make it easier for people to help you
RINA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2007   #2
Kaysie
(Kaysie)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

Rina, for future reference, please make your own thread.

Fungus would look like something slimy or fuzzy, usually white or grey, growing on the body. Your description does sound like fungus.

Normal salt is ok, but if you can get ahold of sea salt, kosher salt, or aquarium salt, this is better. Bathe it twice a day, for 10 minutes at a time, in a concentration of 2 teaspoons of salt per liter of water.

Water parameters are just the concentration of certain chemicals in the water. In the case of axolotls, the most important are ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. The appropriate levels of ammonia and nitrite in the water are 0, while nitrate should be less than 80parts per million (ppm).

Did you cycle your tank? If not, this is an important step to ensuring the long lives of your axolotls. Please read http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cyclingEDK.shtml and post a new thread if you have any troubles with cycling.

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axies, fungus, moved, post, rina