The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

Old 29th August 2007   #1
mc malachy

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: mc malachy has started on the right path
Default Slightly strange behaviour

hey all, i dont normally post on here, although i do follow most of the discussions as they are an invaluable tool.

Over the past 4 days one of my axies, Lini, has developed some peculiar behaviour. I have had her for two years now and have always had a bubbler in her tank, which has been buried under the sand and running constanly since i put sand on the bottom around 4 months ago. Recently shes become a little obsessed with the bubbler, constantly sitting over it or with her head in it trying to bite the bubbles, to the point where i was concerned that she would give herself bloat and turned it off. At this point, lini went crazy for about half an hour, swimming frantically around the tank until i turned it back on.

Apart from my little narrative about her behaviour, what i am really worried about is she seems to be digging or biting the sand around the bubbles and swallowing a lot of sand. Is this in any way harmful to her? Whilst i know that sand is small and should pass easily, im worried about impaction with the amount of sand she appears to be eating. If this poses no risk im happy to let her continue in her own little deluded world.

Thanks all, im sure its nothing to worry about :)

mc malachy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2007   #2
Julia
(bellabelloo)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 13
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11

It sounds to me like she is happy in her little deluded world ( much like me I suppose..must get my self a bubbler ), it sounds to me that she is trying to hunt/ dig out the little beastie that blows bubbles at her.

bellabelloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2007   #3
Kaysie
(Kaysie)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

Sounds like she's just enjoying her toy.

The thing with sand is that even if some is ingested, its small enough to pass through without causing blockage. As far as them swallowing air bubbles, they usually burp these up too.

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2007   #4
Sarah
(Saspotato)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 1
Rep: Saspotato is a mainstay of Caudata.orgSaspotato is a mainstay of Caudata.orgSaspotato is a mainstay of Caudata.orgSaspotato is a mainstay of Caudata.orgSaspotato is a mainstay of Caudata.orgSaspotato is a mainstay of Caudata.orgSaspotato is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Hehe your post reminded me of the yellow tang fish from Finding Nemo. The one that yells out 'Bubbles!' every time the bubbler goes off! Your axolotl sounds so cute :)

Saspotato is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
behaviour, slightly, strange