The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Old 30th May 2008   #1
Jamesthenewt

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Jamesthenewt has started on the right path
Question Should i feed worms from garden?

Hi, james here.I have a small axolotl that has been in my tank for about 2 months now.The water is cycling fine.Should it be all right if take earthworms from our garden?
Will i need to clean them very well?
Thanks
James

Jamesthenewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2008   #2
sonic
(benw)
Salamandra Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: benw is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgbenw is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgbenw is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgbenw is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgbenw is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgbenw is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Should i feed worms from garden?

hi

i feed worms from my garden, to my fire salamanders with no problems.
All i woould say is try to make sure there have been no chemicals used from the area you source the worms from, dig them rather than use the washing up water method, which will harm your axolotl, and try to use earthworms rather than the tiger worms in compost heaps, and finally make sure you use appropriate sized worms.

The worms can be rinsed off with a pot with aged tap water or rain water as needed.
I think thats it, bound to have missed something, but im sure you will get loads of advice

Ben

benw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2008   #3
Becky
(gr33neyes)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 17
Comments: 43
Rep: gr33neyes is a mainstay of Caudata.orggr33neyes is a mainstay of Caudata.orggr33neyes is a mainstay of Caudata.orggr33neyes is a mainstay of Caudata.orggr33neyes is a mainstay of Caudata.orggr33neyes is a mainstay of Caudata.orggr33neyes is a mainstay of Caudata.orggr33neyes is a mainstay of Caudata.org

I think you have covered it Ben except to add that I just rinse mine off under normal tap water. You may need to cut any really large ones up James. When mine couldnt take large worms I just snipped each worm in half with scissors. Now the axies are bigger they chomp them down whole.

Old 3rd June 2008   #4
newbie2

Nationality:
Rep: newbie2 has started on the right path

I have had no problems with feeding both my axies over the years. I had one for 6 years and he unfortunately died on a 44 degree day here in aus due to parents looking after him when i was over seas.
Mine have loved huge earth worms and wont stop until they are completely down. I have footage of one worm that was longer then my axie and he stopped half way to digest whilst half the worm was out of his stomach then waited 30 seconds and finished off the big worm.

Worms have been my axies most loved food over the years and one got sick from bait worms. make sure you find your worms in places with no chemicals.

newbie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2008   #5
Stef
(inkozana)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 5
Comments: 1
Rep: inkozana has given consistently good advice and informationinkozana has given consistently good advice and informationinkozana has given consistently good advice and informationinkozana has given consistently good advice and information

I have also started feeding my axolotl worms from the garden, but I make sure I wash all the dirt and stuff off them beforehand.
My axolotl's love them :)

inkozana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2008   #6
rich, axie newbie, help please :)
(rich)

Nationality:
Rep: rich has started on the right path

Hiya, i agree with every one, an my axie loves them to, but i was just woundering... im quite lazy lol, so i get my worms from a fishing shop, they are normall garden worms, well atleast thats wot i ask for, and there what he gives me, i did ask an he said yea there normal earth worms.. but i was just wounderin if these are safe, i mean getting them from the fishing shop rather than digging them up myselth. And what about lug worms or such like? my axie isnt sick with them, or any problems so is just curiosity :)

Tags
feed, garden, worms