The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Old 5th July 2008   #1
harleyQ8285

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: harleyQ8285 has started on the right path
Question Strange behaviour.

I have two adult albino axolotls. For the past two days one of them has been frantically running back and forth in the front of the tank non-stop while the other just sits there in the back. I know that the other one is still alive because it moves around, although does not leave its spot. I suppose it would be helpful to also mention that they have just gotten over a small fungus issue which I successfully treated for 5 days with Maracyn. I do not know if I have cause for worry or not all I know is that I have never seen either one of them move around THIS much. It is similar to when a hamster is running back and forth pawing at the glass. Ideas or help would be much appreciated thanks!

harleyQ8285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2008   #2
Will
(oregon newt)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 3
Comments: 10
Rep: oregon newt has given consistently excellent advice and informationoregon newt has given consistently excellent advice and informationoregon newt has given consistently excellent advice and informationoregon newt has given consistently excellent advice and informationoregon newt has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Re: strange behavior

What are your water parameters?

Old 5th July 2008   #3
harleyQ8285

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: harleyQ8285 has started on the right path
Default Re: strange behavior

What do you mean by water parameters? Do you mean the size of the tank? They are in a 15 gal and they have a fluval filter. Hope this is what you wanted!

I do not mind your asking questions!

harleyQ8285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2008   #4
Sarah
(Saspotato)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 1
Rep: Saspotato is a mainstay of Caudata.orgSaspotato is a mainstay of Caudata.orgSaspotato is a mainstay of Caudata.orgSaspotato is a mainstay of Caudata.orgSaspotato is a mainstay of Caudata.orgSaspotato is a mainstay of Caudata.orgSaspotato is a mainstay of Caudata.org
Default Re: Strange behaviour.

How big are your axolotls? 15 gallon is suitable for one adult axolotl so you might need to get a bigger tank if your axolotls are fully grown.

By water parameters:
What is your ammonia, nitrate and nitrite readings?
What is your ph?
What is your water temperature?

Anyway, if you could post these it would help narrow down what is wrong with your axolotls. Fungus is usually caused by bad water conditions so perhaps it could be that. Also how often do you clean your tank and how much water do you replace?

With the medication, did you treat them in a separate container or in the tank?

Sorry for all the questions!

Saspotato is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
behaviour, strange