The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Vivaria, Enclosures & Product Reviews Landscaping, setup and enclosure-related discussion (vivaria, aquaterraria, aquariums, etc) & also equipment/product reviews.

Old 11th August 2009   #1
Phil
(philbaker76)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: philbaker76 has given consistently good advice and informationphilbaker76 has given consistently good advice and informationphilbaker76 has given consistently good advice and informationphilbaker76 has given consistently good advice and information
Question Alpine Newt (Mesotriton alpestris) set-up?

Hi guys,

I've been offered some Alpine Newts. I've toyed with the idea of keeping some Newts in the past ~ but never got around to it.

Done some reading up on them ~ including the caudata.org care sheet.
http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Tr...lpestris.shtml

They are Mesotriton alpestris ~ I'm assuming they are Mesotriton alpestris alpestris and come with papers (or something) from the guy who bred them. I'll try and identify them myself when I see them.

Just wanted to get some advice/feedback/tips from any members that keep (or have kept) these newts.

I like the idea of having a mainly aquatic set-up ~ as I'm used to managing these; with my Axolotls. OK ~ here are my questions... (sorry if they're repeated posts - I did search the forum before posting).
  1. I'm considering a 2 or 3ft tank ~ how many (adult) Apline Newts could I happily keep together?
  2. Will a mainly aquatic set-up be OK for M.a. alpestris some care sheets suggest they are more terrestrial than other M.a. species. If not ~ how much (%) land space will they need?
  3. I read somewhere that males can be terratorial; is this true?
  4. Finally, from reading up on them - they seem pretty easy to keep; but are they a good novice species?
Thanks in advance.
Phil

philbaker76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alpestris, alpine, mesotriton, newt, setup