The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

Old 30th September 2009   #1
Sarah
(Spartacus)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 11
Comments: 5
Rep: Spartacus has shown reliable knowledge
Default Axolotl isn't growing

Today I rescued a mistreated and malnourished axolotl. I saw it once 4 months ago, and when I saw it today, I was shocked to see it hasn't grown at all! Its only a month or two younger than my largest 22cm axolotl, yet its only about 10cms long, absolutely tiny.
Will this be due to the lack of food? He was fed, but barely anything, he's so scrawny, it makes me sad Poor thing has been so stunted
Once I get him onto a larger, better diet, will he begin growing again?

Spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2009   #2
Rayson
(Darkmaverick)
Veterinarian

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11
Default Re: Axolotl isn't growing

Your kind intentions are really admirable and commendable. Whether the scrawny axie manages to pull through and thrive is dependant on many factors. Certainly improving the nutrition and living conditions can have a significant impact on its health and growth. However, sometimes skinny axolotls may have other underlying conditions that causes ill thrift. A concurrent illness, congenital defects, parasites or even just genetics. Some adult axies can only grow to a certain size limit potentially. Do what you can and see how it goes. At the very least, it will be a happier axie.

Old 30th September 2009   #3
Sarah
(Spartacus)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 11
Comments: 5
Rep: Spartacus has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Axolotl isn't growing

Thanks :) I hope he pulls through. If I notice anything wrong or he doesn't improve, I'll get back to you. Your help is always very appreciated

Spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axolotl, growing