The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Old 19th April 2010   #1
stanleyc

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: stanleyc has given good advice and informationstanleyc has given good advice and information
Default Feeding Daphnia inside Newt's Tank?

Are there any ill effects of adding yeast or green water to the tank to prolong the Daphnia's life and maybe even reproduce?

stanleyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2010   #2
Martin
(Davo)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: Davo has given consistently good advice and informationDavo has given consistently good advice and informationDavo has given consistently good advice and information
Default Re: Feeding Daphnia inside Newt's Tank?

Youre water quality would deteroriate in the newt tank, much easier to breed daphnia in a bucket.

Davo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2010   #3
Jennewt
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

I think that live green water shouldn't hurt water quality. But I agree with Davo that something like yeast could have a negative impact on water quality.

Old 20th April 2010   #4
Nathan

Nationality:
Rep: Nathan is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgNathan is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgNathan is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgNathan is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgNathan is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgNathan is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

I agree with Jennewt. Daphnia will also find other things to eat in the tank; there are always bacteria and protists in an aquarium. The trouble is the speed with which newts eat the daphnia; it's hard to keep a population going unless the tank has a low newt density and lots of cover for the daphnia. If you really want to keep live daphnia going in the tank, it is worthwhile to install a refugium, such as saltwater aquarists use for "pods" (assorted micro- and mesocrustaceans).

Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2010   #5
Eva
(blueberlin)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 3
Rep: blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11

I used to feed Daphnia with a tea brewed from stinging nettles (brew a bunch for 10 minutes, freeze it as ice cubes for later). I've read that spinach tea works, too. The problem I see is that, to the best of my knowledge, Daphnia require a pretty high oxygen flow and an aerator might disturb the newt?

-Eva

Albert Einstein
blueberlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2010   #6
Nathan

Nationality:
Rep: Nathan is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgNathan is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgNathan is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgNathan is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgNathan is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgNathan is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

They do fine without aeration unless you are keeping them at very high densities.

Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote