The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

Old 3rd July 2013   #1
Dolores

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Dolores has shown reliable knowledge
Default Does a "curled tail" look like this?

Hello everyone. Within the last two days my axolotl has become lethargic. He will sit in his hide or behind a rock until I force him out to eat. He is still eating normally though which confuses me. Any time I give him a worm or a pellet he will gobble it up quickly. He is also pooping regularly which confuses me more. His gills are also always retaining their color and not returning to flesh color when he is inactive.

About two months ago he ate a toothpick sized piece of wood that came off of a piece of driftwood. I have been watching for signs of sickness since and this is the first I have found.

Attached are some photos of his tail. I am not sure if it it is curled at the tip or if this is normal. To me the tip is just folded over a bit and from what I understand that is "curled" but I just wish to clarify.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG950999.jpg
Views:	810
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	31820   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG951181.jpg
Views:	1842
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	31821   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG956760.jpg
Views:	915
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	31822  

Dolores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2013   #2
Quentari
(Quentari)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Quentari has started on the right path
Default Re: Does a "curled tail" look like this?

That teensy-tiny little folded bit?

I think that's what the tail curling is supposed to look like. I once saw a very sick axie and that's how his tail was (more curled though)

Quentari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2013   #3
Hannah
(hannahll)

Nationality:
Rep: hannahll has shown reliable knowledge

Axolotls - Health & Diseases
It looks like it's usually just the tip of the tail that curls and even then, it's usually just a sign of stress. Maybe you should check your parameters.

hannahll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2013   #4
Dolores

Nationality:
Rep: Dolores has shown reliable knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannahll View Post
Axolotls - Health & Diseases
It looks like it's usually just the tip of the tail that curls and even then, it's usually just a sign of stress. Maybe you should check your parameters.
I've checked the parameters and they all seem to be fine. The temperature hovers around 70 F so I am thinking that may be it. I am going to relocate him to a different room that stays much colder.

Dolores is offline   Reply With Quote