The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1
Foxypaws

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Foxypaws is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help identifying salamander once thought to be axolotl

Hello all! I am hoping that someone here can solve this mystery for me...

I bought Itzi from a well known axolotl breeder back in July. She'd bought him from someone else in a big batch. (I didn't know at the time, and I still don't know who bred him)
I commented a few times on how his structure was quite different from my other axolotl. His feet looked a lot different. Bigger, with much longer toes. His eyes stuck further out on his head, and his general head shape seemed...off. I thought it was just different genes at work. But here we are.
Click the image to open in full size.

Anyways, a few weeks ago he started morphing. I was shocked. At first I thought he was dying, and once even thought him dead. Someone told me to wait for a day or so, and I did.

The next day he had crawled out of the water and was sticking his head out on top of some plants. I knew then that he was morphing.

I gave him some land and out he came the next day.

At first I thought he was a morphed axolotl, but I honestly don't think he looks anything like them.

Can anyone identify?

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

Here's a pic of him today after his first meal! I am so glad he's finally eating.

Foxypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2
Julia
(bellabelloo)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 13
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11
Default Re: Help identifying salamander once thought to be axolotl

I think he is an axolotl . Now he has morphed, care for him as if he is a Tiger salamander. It's worth asking the person you got him from to find out his history. If you find out more, please let us know :)

bellabelloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3
Foxypaws

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellabelloo View Post
I think he is an axolotl . Now he has morphed, care for him as if he is a Tiger salamander. It's worth asking the person you got him from to find out his history. If you find out more, please let us know :)
I can give you all the information I have about him!

He was (supposedly) about seven or eight months old when I got him.

I have no idea who his original owner was. The person I bought him from really didn't give me much. She was honestly a bit defensive and more interested in telling me that it was perfectly natural for them to morph sometimes, that he wasn't HER breeding, and that he was 'at least in a good home!'

That day I saw her putting another morphed one up for sale, so I started asking and she said that he wasn't related to mine, but he came in the same shipment and morphed in transit. (Would have been nice to have known before purchasing mine!!)

I quit asking questions at that point when I saw that she was closing comments on the sale of the other one, apparently because people were asking too many questions about his origin and she said they weren't being 'adults' by asking.

I figured the defensiveness and such just wasn't worth pursuing, so I have no idea beyond where I bought him initially.

I recently noticed thought that my little guy doesn't have five toes on his back feet like my other axolotl. Well. Sort of. He has four full toes and one really short 'half?' toe on each foot. So basically four toes.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #4
Julia
(bellabelloo)

Nationality:
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11

It is such a shame that the seller can not be honest with you.
Unfortunately I have seen an alarming increase in 'unscrupulous breeders' using Tiger salamanders in their breedings with axolotl. I fear the damage this will do to current axolotl by increasing the amount of the Tiger salamander dna . I do understand that this mixed breeding will be interesting, but these animals should not be passed onto to innocent owners as the axolotl we know and love.
Of course my suspicions may be wrong, and that this lovely animal may be just one of those random axolotl that morph. But if you happen to notice that the person you purchased this beauty from is selling more, there is a Testimonial section towards the bottom of the page that could be used to notify other future buyers

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #5
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

Do axies and tiger sals have the same or different number of toes?

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #6
Herpin Man

Nationality:
Rep: Herpin Man has given consistently good advice and informationHerpin Man has given consistently good advice and informationHerpin Man has given consistently good advice and informationHerpin Man has given consistently good advice and information

So asking a seller questions about the origins of the animals they are selling is "not being adults"?
That is absolutely ridiculous. That's a seller I would like never to deal with.

Herpin Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #7
Foxypaws

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herpin Man View Post
So asking a seller questions about the origins of the animals they are selling is "not being adults"?
That is absolutely ridiculous. That's a seller I would like never to deal with.

Yes I know! I read through all the comments before they were closed. People were just genuinely curious because they didn't think it was possible. No contention at all.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #8
Foxypaws

Nationality:

Here are some more pictures. His white spotting that he had in his aquatic form is starting to come back. At first he was REALLY dark, but every day the spots seem to get a tiny bit brighter.

It's really hard to tell from the photos (because the lighting in my house is awful and I don't want to freak him out) but his legs are dappled all over in white. His chin is also really white.

I have to feed him in a tupperware because he is HORRIBLE at catching food. It gets away and dies before he has a chance at it. This is the only way I've been able to get him to eat a thing. He was getting really skinny, but since we figured this out he's fattened back up.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #9
Foxypaws

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellabelloo View Post
It is such a shame that the seller can not be honest with you.
Unfortunately I have seen an alarming increase in 'unscrupulous breeders' using Tiger salamanders in their breedings with axolotl. I fear the damage this will do to current axolotl by increasing the amount of the Tiger salamander dna . I do understand that this mixed breeding will be interesting, but these animals should not be passed onto to innocent owners as the axolotl we know and love.
Of course my suspicions may be wrong, and that this lovely animal may be just one of those random axolotl that morph. But if you happen to notice that the person you purchased this beauty from is selling more, there is a Testimonial section towards the bottom of the page that could be used to notify other future buyers
Yes it really is a shame. I would have at least liked something of an apology...I was not prepared at all to take care of a terrestrial morph. I didn't even have a place to put him at first...I had to empty my sewing storage and put him in there!

I'll be keeping an eye on things for sure. I would definitely put a testimonial there if I noticed anything else odd going on.

Honestly, it was my fault for falling into dishonesty. I bought an axolotl from this buyer a year ago and she sort of fibbed to me then too, but on a much lesser scale. I asked her if she could ship through FedEx (because I work there and could take a bunch of time off of shipping by picking it up from my workplace) and she said yes, charged me extra, and then shipped it USPS! Cheaper and longer.

When I confronted her about it, she denied ever having that conversation with me. I ended up screenshotting our conversation and she told me that she had 'forgotten'. I got my extra money back, but still.

I decided to give her another chance because she really does have beautiful, healthy axolotls and it was such a small thing that it could have well been a mistake.

But now on my second purchase I've got a morph!!

Old 1 Week Ago   #10
Julia
(bellabelloo)

Nationality:

Morphed animals, such as tigers are great fun to watch. But I found the biggest problem is just keeping one