The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Large Aquatic Salamanders (Hellbenders/Cryptobranchids, Necturus, Siren, etc.) This topic covers Cryptobranchids like the hellbender and Asian giant salamanders, as well as sirens, mud puppies, and amphiumas.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1
meteordemon

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: meteordemon has given good advice and informationmeteordemon has given good advice and information
Default Successful Breeding of Greater Siren (Siren lacertina)!!!!!!!

Hey everyone, I did it!!!!! Uve successfully gotten my greater sirens to lay about 150 eggs!!!! Let's pray that they are viable!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200109_111116.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	451.7 KB
ID:	56299  

meteordemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2
Chinadog

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11
Default Re: Successful Breeding of Greater Siren (Siren lacertina)!!!!!!!

Congratulations, Good luck raising the larvae!

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3
Julia
(bellabelloo)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 13
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11

Many congratulations to you.
Could you tell us a little more please ?

bellabelloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #4
meteordemon

Nationality:
Rep: meteordemon has given good advice and informationmeteordemon has given good advice and information

Click the image to open in full size.
Update: The eggs appear to be viable!!

It took a while for the mods to approve the post, sorry for the delay, here's how I accomplished this:

Habitat: The basis of their setup is a 250-300 gallon aquarium in my backyard (I live in Northern California) with a mesh top. The tank is covered in very densely planted Water Hyacinth & Water Lettuce with water lily tubers on the sand substrate. The eggs were deposited in the roots of the water lily, entangled in peat from the hyacinth. The tank notably has a slow leak (slower than evaporation) and is often just a little over half full with hyacinth roots reaching ~12 inches down to the sand. The sirens primarily eat the vegetation, but I throw in sinking pellets and feeder goldfish from time to time. I also have 2 small (rated for 50 gallons each) heaters in the tank set to 55, just to ensure it doesn't get too cold and freeze over. Some interesting things I have observed are that they do engage in biting behavior as a courtship mechanism. The male seems unharmed, however the female has 7 or 8 bite marks along the side of her body, with a couple of them lightly penetrating the skin. She is being observed closely to ensure her health, and I have a water tank ready in the event of an emergency separation. I have also observed both parents tending to the nest. Interestingly, the male spends a majority of the time coiled around the nest as opposed to the female, which is notable as I have read that the female typically guards the nest.

The eggs only showed signs of viability today, approximately 5 days after they were laid. The eggs that are developing are part of the batch that I separated from the nest for close observation. It is difficult to see into the tank, but I will report more info on how the eggs in the original nest fare compared to the separated ones.

Let me know if you have any specific questions? This has been an amazing experience for me and I would love so spread any and all knowledge

Old 1 Week Ago   #5
PhilbertCoffee

Nationality:
Rep: PhilbertCoffee is an unknown quantity at this point

Amazin :d

PhilbertCoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Days Ago   #6
MnGuy

Nationality:
Rep: MnGuy has shown reliable knowledge

Wow; that's awesome. Congratulations. Please keep us posted with pictures and information as things develop. Good luck.

MnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Days Ago   #7
meteordemon

Nationality:

Hey all, just wanted to update! Its day 13 and a vast majority of the eggs are doing well! Eyes should start forming soon =) maybe 15 duds so far, but they are extremely easy to spot and remove without hurting other eggs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200122_114022.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	164.0 KB
ID:	56351