The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Field Herping Accounts Share your field herpetology experiences with accounts/articles, photos, and advice.

Old 1st August 2018   #1
Jefferson

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Jefferson has given consistently excellent advice and informationJefferson has given consistently excellent advice and informationJefferson has given consistently excellent advice and informationJefferson has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Recent Finds in the Shenandoah Valley

Hi you all!

Since the last lifer-oriented outing I took with Bethany to West Virginia in June, I've been working here in Virginia, preparing for senior year, doing lots of econ, and only getting in very local herping, most of it in my county. But bouncing around the Shenandoah Valley and adjacent Blue Ridge this July has turned up several good finds, some old friends, some new and different.

Road cruising for snakes at twilight has yielded Copperheads, garters, and rat snakes, while on a recent hike at Spy Rock in the Blue Ridge, we found a few northern dusky salamanders, ubiquitous throughout Virginia, in a picturesque stream before making the arduous hike. The hike to the top of the mountain, though difficult, was picturesque, with grassy balds atop the mountain and a gorgeous view of the surrounding land. Curiously, the puddles on top of the rock had some tadpoles that are still a mystery, though my guess is either Upland chorus frog or eastern newt. Then, as we turned around to descend the rock, a summer camp group began its ascent, led by a guy....in an orange T-Rex suit (he must have lost a gargantuan bet)!! As Jeff Goldblum in Jurassic Park would say, "Life finds a way." Pictures are below. Enjoy everyone, and happy herping as we enter the dog days of late summer!

You can view my recent road cruising, salamandering, and some vintage footage of 2017 Virginia salamanders, including such gems as Yonahlossee and Northern Red, on my youtube channel at: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7y...OEMfdL3g1JQ8Q?

Or as a blog post on:
middleamericanmusings.wordpress.com/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_8796 (2).jpg
Views:	120
Size:	796.1 KB
ID:	53971   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3624.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	242.2 KB
ID:	53972   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8340.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	564.8 KB
ID:	53973   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_8791.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	643.0 KB
ID:	53974   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8335.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	822.3 KB
ID:	53975  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8361.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	185.4 KB
ID:	53976  

Old 2nd August 2018   #2
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11
Default Re: Recent Finds in the Shenandoah Valley

Great pictures! YOu must have been surprised by the dinosaur!

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2018   #3
Xavier
(Sith the turtle)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 150
Comments: 77
Rep: Sith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Looking good! That Garter snake looks beautiful!

Old 17th August 2018   #4
Jefferson

Nationality:
Rep: Jefferson has given consistently excellent advice and informationJefferson has given consistently excellent advice and informationJefferson has given consistently excellent advice and informationJefferson has given consistently excellent advice and information

Thanks you guys! Definitely the best picture I've ever gotten of a garter snake, and yes, I was surprised by a T-Rex!!!

Old 8th September 2018   #5
Cloppy
Field Herper

Nationality:
Rep: Cloppy has shown reliable knowledgeCloppy has shown reliable knowledge
Wink Re: Recent Finds in the Shenandoah Valley

Nice Animals, Although I have never seen a specimen of the Tyrannosaurus genus, I still search regularly in the deep forests of the Smokies... Very elusive... On the other hand, I bet you haven't found this mammal yet... Click the image to open in full size.