The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Reply

 

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th May 2006   #1
luis
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Gallery Images:
Comments:
Default

Here is the problem. What is it? What can I do?

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.



  Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2006   #2
ian
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Gallery Images:
Comments:
Default

This is usually a sign of a bacterial infection or internal organ problem.Unfortunately by the time swelling is seen it is usually too late to do anything about it.



  Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2006   #3
joan
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Gallery Images:
Comments:
Default

Is the rest of the animal swelled up?

I would take it to a vet and get a culture. It may be bacterial and something easily remedied by antibiotics. It looks quite uncomfortable.



  Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2006   #4
christopher
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Gallery Images:
Comments:
Default

yeah
I agree with ian, I am pretty sure (bye the way this looks) that you are already too late but maybe a visit to the vet will save it.

Hope it gets better Click the image to open in full size.



  Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2006   #5
jennifer
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Gallery Images:
Comments:
Default

I have heard this problem called "mouth rot". From what I have read, it is a bacterial infection. See:
http://www.klsnet.com/sickamph.html

Luis - may I use your photographs to Caudata Culture? http://www.caudata.org/cc/index.shtml

(Message edited by jennewt on May 07, 2006)



  Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2006   #6
ian
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Gallery Images:
Comments:
Default

Its not mouth rot,i don't see any open sores or broken skin and you wouldn't get that amount of swelling.I am sure its bacterial or internal organ problems and sorry to say chances of survival are slim (i hope i'm wrong) good luck Luis.



  Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2006   #7
ian
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Gallery Images:
Comments:
Default

From the link Jennifer provided, it said that Mouth rot is a bacterial infection.
Anyway, I hope it will get well soon. And thanks for the link, Jennifer.



  Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2006   #8
edward
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Gallery Images:
Comments:
Default

"Mouth Rot" aka infectious stomatitis is a disease of reptiles and can be caused by bacteria, viruses, and fungal infections.
The treatment described in the link Jen provided above is a treatment for reptiles and not amphibians. Iodine is toxic to amphibians and many of the iodine solutions also contain surfactants which are also toxic to amphibians.

The swelling looks to be localized and can be caused by a number of issues and really needs to be evaluated by a vet.

Ed



  Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2006   #9
luis
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Gallery Images:
Comments:
Default

Thank you for all the posts. Where I live there are not vet for amphibians but I'm trying whit a soft antibacterial cream. I will tell you if it works.

Yes Jennifer, you can use the photographs.

I'm sorry about my english.



  Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
infection


(View-All Members who have read this thread : 10 (Set)

bex255, BouBou, Cliff, elKendo97, grandjean, mattymatt, mr cyclone, sallie2010, SamuelK, sponyc
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
eye infection mykil88 Newt and Salamander Help 1 29th April 2008 01:46
Eye infection??? rodrigo Newt and Salamander Help 0 20th April 2007 14:52
Infection? luis Newt and Salamander Help 3 13th July 2006 23:09
Infection devon Newt and Salamander Help 12 13th March 2005 20:38
Eye infection TJ Newt and Salamander Help 0 17th December 2002 18:09


All times are GMT. The time now is 14:20.