The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Old 5th May 2009   #1
NewtsRAwesome

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: NewtsRAwesome is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Small food for a small mouth.

I have a Red Spotted Newt that is verry small. He is just barely bigger than a quarter. I've done research that tells me I shouldn't feed him anything much bigger then his head.
So what is small enough to feed him when his head is about the size of this :
o <--

NewtsRAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009   #2
AJ
(caudatadude28)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 14
Comments: 21
Rep: caudatadude28 has given good advice and informationcaudatadude28 has given good advice and informationcaudatadude28 has given good advice and information
Default Re: Small food for a small mouth.

You could try spring tails, whiteworms, grindal worms(smaller relative of whiteworms), black worms in a dish or on paper towel, and maybe pin head crickets. Correct me if I am wrong about the pinhead crickets.

caudatadude28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009   #3
Eve D
(madeve)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Comments: 5
Rep: madeve is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmadeve is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmadeve is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmadeve is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmadeve is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmadeve is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmadeve is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Pin head crickets should work. I would add flightless fruit flies to that list, you can usually find the cultures at Petco for around $10.

Shoot for the Moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the Stars...
madeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009   #4
Justin
(Greatwtehunter)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 298
Comments: 24
Rep: Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeve View Post
Pin head crickets should work. I would add flightless fruit flies to that list, you can usually find the cultures at Petco for around $10.
It should be worth mentioning that if you decide to use fruit flies or pinhead crickets they will need to be dusted with calcium powder twice a week and vitamin powder once a week. The pinhead crickets in addition the the calcium and vitamin supplements will also need to be gut loaded (feeding the crickets at least 4 hours before feeding them to your newt).

Old 5th May 2009   #5
Erin
(slowfoot)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 23
Rep: slowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatwtehunter View Post
It should be worth mentioning that if you decide to use fruit flies or pinhead crickets they will need to be dusted with calcium powder twice a week and vitamin powder once a week. The pinhead crickets in addition the the calcium and vitamin supplements will also need to be gut loaded (feeding the crickets at least 4 hours before feeding them to your newt).
Hey, Justin. Can I ask what brand of vitamins you use?

slowfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009   #6
Eve D
(madeve)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Comments: 5
Rep: madeve is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmadeve is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmadeve is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmadeve is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmadeve is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmadeve is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmadeve is a mainstay of Caudata.org

I often forget the obvious, dusting and gut loading advice. It's routine for me so I don't always think of mentioning it, thanks for clarifying that Justin.

Quote:

Shoot for the Moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the Stars...
madeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009   #7
NewtsRAwesome

Nationality:
Rep: NewtsRAwesome is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all for the much appreciated help.

Last edited by Jacquie; 7th May 2009 at 00:36.
NewtsRAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009   #8
Justin
(Greatwtehunter)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 298
Comments: 24
Rep: Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowfoot View Post
Hey, Justin. Can I ask what brand of vitamins you use?
Rep-Cal Herptivite Multivitamins and Rep-Cal Calcium with Vitamin D3 Ultrafine Powder.

Old 6th May 2009   #9
Erin
(slowfoot)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 23
Rep: slowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Quote:
Rep-Cal Herptivite Multivitamins and Rep-Cal Calcium with Vitamin D3 Ultrafine Powder.
Thanks, Justin

slowfoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
food, mouth, small