The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Old 8th September 2011   #1
Molch
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 5
Comments: 7
Rep: Molch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Question Maggots off stinky dead things?

My doggie and I regularly come across dearly-departed denizens of the tundra on our forays and hikes (well; she finds most of them). Often, they have yummy white maggots on them.

Can I collect these and feed to the newts? Or is there any reason that maggots fed on dead tundra meat might be harmful? I suspect these are fly maggots of some kind.

Here is the Pudden with her latest conquest; a mature muskox bull who expired in a willow thicket. Only his bones were there, but plenty of maggots still clung to those.

On this particular occasion, the only container I had on me was my lunch box, and I wasn't gonna put those maggots on my sandwich...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5388.jpg
Views:	8961
Size:	227.9 KB
ID:	18551   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5390.jpg
Views:	12144
Size:	214.3 KB
ID:	18552   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5388a.jpg
Views:	5894
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	18553  

Old 8th September 2011   #2
Gareth
(rethgar)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: rethgar has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Maggots off stinky dead things?

I would have thought maggots would be pretty fatty. Assuming it didn't die as a result of poisoning or something similar I can't see too much of a problem with it

rethgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2011   #3
taherman
Caudata.org Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 1
Rep: taherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

I once found several Desmognathus packed tighter than a sausage full of maggots from a rotting deer. They seemed quite happy until my girlfriend picked them up. Then they vomited still-writhing maggots all over her hands.

It was a touching moment, and convinced me that she was a top notch woman, so we are married now. :)

taherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2011   #4
Justin
(Greatwtehunter)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 298
Comments: 24
Rep: Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11

I use maggots. I culture my own and during the warmer months I'll stick a few fish carcasses out in the backyard. I'm sure the neighbors hate me for it but my salamanders sure don't!

Old 9th September 2011   #5
Molch
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Molch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

good to know. Just came back from a hike where I found a dead moose. Will return there and bravely pluck some maggots off the skin. Just gotta watch over my shoulder so I don't get plucked by a griz myself who might consider that carcass his property, hehe

Justin - what's your culturing method for maggots? Is it incredible gross and stinky? My house is small...or is there a way to do it without going into a permanent gag reflex?

Old 9th September 2011   #6
Coastal Groovin
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Rep: Coastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.org

I have collected them off of dead catfish I leave in the woods. They work great.

Old 9th September 2011   #7
Justin
(Greatwtehunter)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11

I culture them in a large container (I use one with more vertical space) with a screen lid. The bottom of the container has a slight layer of coco fiber. I have one bowl that has the egg laying medium and one petri dish with sugar cubes/powdered milk/water. I also add one tomato, cut in half once every 2 weeks or so.

The egg laying medium consists of powdered sugar, crushed dog food, and a little bit of yeast. It is moistened until it's a little runnier than mashed potatoes.

Start off with a small amount of medium. If it's too large and there aren't enough maggots to effectively "turn it over" then it will become mouldy and smelly. This is mainly a trial and error process at first.

Old 9th September 2011   #8
Molch
Prolific Member

Nationality:

thanks, I gotta try this. Do you just catch ordinary house flies to get going? and what's a good temperature?

I'm glad the culture medium doesn't involve decomposing body parts or chopped bits-of-mother-in-law. Powdered sugar and dog food ...yum yum.

Old 9th September 2011   #9
Justin
(Greatwtehunter)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

I started my cultures by collecting maggots from rotting fish I had sitting outside a few years ago.

My cultures stay in the 70-80F range