The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Old 12th July 2009   #1
findi
Herpetologist & Author

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)
Default Canned Snails and Other Invertebrates

I've been experimenting with some of the canned invertebrates currently being offered for sale as reptile and amphibian food, and have had some promising results. I am especially glad to see that shelled snails are available, as these and slugs likely feature prominently in the diets of many salamanders. So far, I've found canned snails to be accepted by mudpuppies, axolotls, amphimumas and tiger salamanders that are either under my care of in the collections of zoos and aquariums for whom I consult. Canned freshwater shrimp have been accepted by every aquatic salamander and frog to whom they have been offered, and silkworms show promise as well.

For further information, please see my articles Canned Freshwater Shrimp http://blogs.thatpetplace.com/thatre...rtebrate-pets/ and Canned Insects and Other Invertebrates http://blogs.thatpetplace.com/thatre...nd-amphibians/.

Good luck and enjoy, Frank Indiviglio

findi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2009   #2
Foster Reves
(freves)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: freves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.org
Default Re: Canned Snails and Other Invertebrates

I have had mixed results trying canned food Frank. As you mentioned, the few aquatic species that I keep really seem to go for it more so than the terrestrials, which generally only seem partially interested.
Chip

freves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2009   #3
Johnny O. Farnen
(SludgeMunkey)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 42
Comments: 9
Rep: SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11

I have had outstanding results silkworms, I have yet to find an amphibian that rejects them. The wide ranges of size available is an especially huge help in providing a varied diet to the smaller animals in my collection.

I too have had a good measure of success with canned freshwater shrimp.

You have inspired me to give the shelled snails a try!

SludgeMunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2009   #4
malduroque

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: malduroque is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad to see someone advocating canned food. Seems like it hasn't really caught on around here, but it's convenient, easily obtainable and contains many advantageous food items. I've fed the shrimp and fish to my caudates and anurans and I've got a can of snails that I haven't cracked open yet but will do so soon. I've also the used the 'pillars and grasshoppers for my anurans.

Mal

malduroque is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canned, invertebrates, snails