The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Photo & Video Gallery The place to share and discuss photos and videos of newts and salamanders.

Old 21st November 2008   #21
Justin
(Greatwtehunter)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 298
Comments: 24
Rep: Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11
Default Re: Ambystoma opacum eggs hatching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freves View Post
Justin,
If you cannot locate any blackworms in Roanoke I know that C & P Pets in Christainsburg has been carrying them. You may want to call first to check availability before making the drive though.
Chip
I checked every pet store in town yesterday and 2 in Lynchburg with no luck, haven't got around to the blacksburg area yet, although I do know Zooquatic doesn't carry them. Is C&P Pets the pet store near Petsmart?

Old 21st November 2008   #22
Foster Reves
(freves)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: freves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatwtehunter View Post
I checked every pet store in town yesterday and 2 in Lynchburg with no luck, haven't got around to the blacksburg area yet, although I do know Zooquatic doesn't carry them. Is C&P Pets the pet store near Petsmart?
Yeah thats the one. They keep their newts too warm when they have them but otherwise it's not a bad shop.
Chip

freves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2009   #23
Justin
(Greatwtehunter)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11

Just thought I would post an update on how these guys are doing. This makes the 5th batch of eggs I have hatched out over the years, these last three times I have staggered out when I hatch them to see if there was a difference in larvae size. I have hatched them in Feburary, May, and now this past November. All three times the larvae hatched out the same size as the batch before. Just thought I would share that little bit of information with y'all.

Now onto the pic, this pic was taken two months to the date of them hatching:
Click the image to open in full size.

Old 1st April 2009   #24
Justin
(Greatwtehunter)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Ok so here is one last update. The 3 larvae that I kept finally morphed out on Friday and are quite the little pigs. They are also alot more vividly colored than I am used to and seem to get more silver each day.
Click the image to open in full size.

Old 1st April 2009   #25
Johnny O. Farnen
(SludgeMunkey)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 42
Comments: 9
Rep: SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11

Nice video! Don't discount decapsulated brine shrimp cysts as early food. I have had extremely good luck with them and young Ambystoma larvae.

SludgeMunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009   #26
Ian Faux
(IanF)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 9
Comments: 10
Rep: IanF has given consistently good advice and informationIanF has given consistently good advice and informationIanF has given consistently good advice and informationIanF has given consistently good advice and information

Those are looking great Justin. The color is very interesting, I've never seen them that silver before. Good luck with them.

Old 1st April 2009   #27
Eve D
(madeve)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Comments: 5
Rep: madeve is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmadeve is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmadeve is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmadeve is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmadeve is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmadeve is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmadeve is a mainstay of Caudata.org

I am terribly jealous of those, they look amazing!!!

Shoot for the Moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the Stars...
madeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2009   #28
yellowman4005

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: yellowman4005 is an unknown quantity at this point

Justin, how did you get your salamanders to breed? Were they difficult to breed?

yellowman4005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2009   #29
Justin
(Greatwtehunter)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

These I didn't breed, I found these eggs and hatched them out. They were almost covered with water so I just stuck them in a tank and added a little bit of water to them to finish the job and catch it on video. The whole process took less than an hour, and by the way I only kept 3 of the larvae. I do have some ideas that I am going to try out this fall and see if I can't get my adult pair to breed, so I'll let you know what comes of that.

Tags
ambystoma, eggs, fall, hatching, maculatum, nest, opacum, pool, tank, vernal