The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Old 31st July 2007   #1
jameswei
(newtron)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: newtron has started on the right path
Default Wine cooler? and fridge?

Due to the cost of central air, and the overwhelming summer, i have kept all the salamanders that i have left in my compact fridgerator. So far they have been there for 3 months. I have not fed them and i have changed their substrate occasionally. Is it possible to keep them in the fridge for 2 more months until october? What is the ideal temperature? How often should i change their remedial setup? I am using paper towels so far. Does anyone else have other suggestions for substrate? What is the longest members in the forum have kept their herps in stasis?

Lastly, has anyone had any experience using wine coolers as a way of hibernating their newts?

newtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2007   #2
Jennewt
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

A wine cooler should work fine. Since it may be small, it would be a good idea to open the door every day to let in fresh air. Since the temp is somewhat higher than the refrigerator, you would actually have to feed the animals. In fact, I'm thinking that you should try to feed them in the refrigerator. Some species may be willing to eat, even at that temp.

For substrate, I would recommend coco-fiber (Bed-a-beast stuff), actual soil, or petshop "forest floor" type products.

Finally, I would say that there are some species that should never be kept in the fridge. Cynops ensicauda is the one that comes to mind.

Jennewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2007   #3
Ed
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Comments: 1
Rep: Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

I would suggest offering food on at a weekly basis at those temperatures. Salamanders and newts do not truely enter into a stasis or hibernation period and should continue to feed.

If you have the technical know how you can replace the thermostate in the fridge to hold at a warmer temperature (say 65).

Ed

Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2007   #4
jameswei
(newtron)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: newtron has started on the right path

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennewt View Post
A wine cooler should work fine. Since it may be small, it would be a good idea to open the door every day to let in fresh air. Since the temp is somewhat higher than the refrigerator, you would actually have to feed the animals. In fact, I'm thinking that you should try to feed them in the refrigerator. Some species may be willing to eat, even at that temp.

For substrate, I would recommend coco-fiber (Bed-a-beast stuff), actual soil, or petshop "forest floor" type products.

Finally, I would say that there are some species that should never be kept in the fridge. Cynops ensicauda is the one that comes to mind.
Hi Jen, Aside from cynops ensicauda are there other species that can not tolerate the wine cooler? What are the criteria for determining suitability?

Ted, i dont have the technical knowhow but i am more than enthusiastic to try, any suggestions as to where i should look to start?

newtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2007   #5
Ed
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Comments: 1
Rep: Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Check out this link to convert a chest freezer into a fridge. http://www.gassavers.org/archive/ind...on/t-2026.html something similar to this should work.

I got the idea years ago from my college microbiology class. They had retrofitted old refrigerators to be incubators...

Ed

Ed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooler, fridge, wine