The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Old 7th September 2007   #1
Leashie
(myyumbrella)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 3
Rep: myyumbrella has started on the right path
Question ??melanoid or wild type??

Hey Every one!
I have an axolotl but im not sure if it is a melanoid or a wild type. She is light in colour kind of creamy looking with brown spots, she has no yellow colouration on her and no shiny patches. Her eyes look pure black but when you go up closeyou can see a pupil and a ring around. Can any body please tell me what she is?! Thanks, Elisha

myyumbrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2007   #2
Phil
(philbaker76)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: philbaker76 has given consistently good advice and informationphilbaker76 has given consistently good advice and informationphilbaker76 has given consistently good advice and informationphilbaker76 has given consistently good advice and information

Hi there, sounds like she's wild type. See: http://www.axolotl.org/genetics.htm

Cheers, Phil

philbaker76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2007   #3
Kaysie
(Kaysie)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

If you can post a photo of both a body closeup and a closeup of the eyes, that'll help.

If it has a gold ring around the eyes (or is gold in some lights), then its a wildtype.

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2007   #4
Leashie
(myyumbrella)

Nationality:

Thanks! Here is a picture of her: [IMG]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Elisha%20vivian/My%20Documents/elishaz%20pix!/Coty.JPG[/IMG]

Old 9th September 2007   #5
Leashie
(myyumbrella)

Nationality:

sorry that didn't work! I have no idea how to show photos! lol

Old 9th September 2007   #6
Jay
(jay_coward)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 13
Comments: 2
Rep: jay_coward has started on the right path

Melanoids are pure black all over including the eyes. It would have to be a wild-type.

Old 9th September 2007   #7
Kaysie
(Kaysie)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

Jay, that's not true. My melanoid is more steely-grey, and has blue eyes. I also have a jet-black female that's actually a wildtype.

Old 9th September 2007   #8
Phil
(philbaker76)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: philbaker76 has given consistently good advice and informationphilbaker76 has given consistently good advice and informationphilbaker76 has given consistently good advice and informationphilbaker76 has given consistently good advice and information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaysie View Post
Jay, that's not true. My melanoid is more steely-grey, and has blue eyes. I also have a jet-black female that's actually a wildtype.
Hi Kaysie, I have what I think are a pair of melanoid - they are jet black (no colour around the eyes) - very, very faint spots - on the under belly only (you wouldn't see these on a photo) ...would you say it is melanoid or wild type?

Sold to me as Melanoid and looks like the one on http://www.axolotl.org/genetics.htm; but no spots on the head.

philbaker76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2007   #9
Kaysie
(Kaysie)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

I'd need a photo of the eyes and overall color to say for sure. But melanoids can vary. Albinos, light-grey, dark grey, 'purple', brownish, black. They come in lots of colors.

Old 9th September 2007   #10
mantighoul
Caudata.org Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 2
Rep: mantighoul has given consistently good advice and informationmantighoul has given consistently good advice and informationmantighoul has given consistently good advice and information

to post a photo, when you start a thread there is this area called Additional Options, and there is an area called "attach files" that is there area where you go to add your pictures you click on "manage attachments" and go to "upload from my computer" area at the top and bit browse. there you can browse for your file and add it. then you hit upload button. after you submit your thread/reply a picture should be there.

sounds like a wild-type to me, there is great variation within wildtypes, but a pictures can tell a lot more.

mantighoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
melanoid, type, wild