The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

Old 27th January 2009   #1
Mitchell
(mitchell101)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 9
Comments: 1
Rep: mitchell101 has started on the right path
Default Full testing kit

I am going to buy a full testing kit for my axolotls.
Just clarifying what i need and how much it should cost.
I know i need Nitrate, Nitrate, PH, Chlorine and Chloramine and Ammonia any others?
What brand should i get and is it better to get a whole kit or buy separately.
It doesn't really matter how much it costs i just want the best one for my axies.

mitchell101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2009   #2
Jacquie

Nationality:
Comments: 12
Rep: Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11
Default Re: Full testing kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchell101 View Post
I know i need Nitrate, Nitrate, PH, Chlorine and Chloramine and Ammonia any others?
What brand should i get and is it better to get a whole kit or buy separately.
Buying them together in a set is often cheaper than buying individually.

API 'Freshwater Master Test Kit' can be purchased for around $40-60 depending where you go. This master kit has all the important test tube kits: Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, pH and high pH.

Paying for each kit separately you would be looking anywhere from $20-35 for each one. The master test kit will save you quite a bit of money.

The Ammonia test is the priority.

Useful links: Forum Rules | Axolotl Caresheets | Axolotl Sanctuary | Axolotl FAQ| Water Quality FAQ | Caudata Culture Articles
Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2009   #3
Rayson
(Darkmaverick)
Veterinarian

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Rep: Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11

Hi Mitchell,

Firstly you want to get a test kit that uses colorimetric solution rather than dipsticks. The solution type test kit is much more accurate.

You can acquire the kit as a set that would include most importantly tests for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Some kits will include test for pH. These 4 are really all you need. However if you grow live plants, you might want to have a test for phosphates.

Presence of chlorines, chloramines, heavy metals are neutralised whenever you use a good water ager or dechlorinator. I would advise you invest in a good quality product rather than purchase a test kit to test for them. I use "Prime" which i find does a good job.

Cheers

Old 27th January 2009   #4
Mitchell
(mitchell101)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:

I found this site http://www.aquaticlifeaquariums.com.au/index1.html.
Do i get just the
API Freshwater Master Test Kit or should i get also a phosphate, GH and GK test kits.
I have only one plant so i don't think phosphate will be needed but I'm not sure.
Thanks

Old 27th January 2009   #5
Rayson
(Darkmaverick)
Veterinarian

Nationality:
Rep: Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11

Hi mitchell,

Just the freshwater test kit will do. Im so envious, that is one good looking master test kit by the way!

Regards.

Old 27th January 2009   #6
Mitchell
(mitchell101)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkmaverick View Post
Hi mitchell,

Just the freshwater test kit will do. Im so envious, that is one good looking master test kit by the way!

Regards.
Thanks.
I'm going to buy the kit tomorrow!

Old 27th January 2009   #7
geosheets

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: geosheets has given consistently good advice and informationgeosheets has given consistently good advice and informationgeosheets has given consistently good advice and information

Perhaps the rest of the world does not use copper like we do in the US. I like to test my source water for copper also. I am always soldering something on my copper plumbing and since I always have inverts of some sort, I'm fearful of copper getting into my source water. Usually not an issue unless there is some new plumbing but I test for it anyways.

geosheets is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
full, kit, testing