The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Old 22nd February 2010   #1
NewGuy1
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: NewGuy1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Daphnia culturing

I am soon to recieve a couple axolotl eggs and I would like to be prepared for them to hatch. I am thinking of culturing my own daphnia or atleast finding a reliable source of daphnia to feed my golden axolotl. Any advice or recomendations?

NewGuy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2010   #2
Morg
(morg)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Rep: morg is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmorg is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmorg is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmorg is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmorg is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmorg is a mainstay of Caudata.org
Default Re: Daphnia culturing

Your best bet is to set up as large a tub of water out in your garden as you can, add some daphnia, and leave them to it.
I have raised daphnia indoors before using various methods and feeding regimes, but large water tubs outside provide me with most of the daphnia I need for yearly newt larvae raising.

www.punkradiocast.com/
morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2010   #3
Jennewt
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

There's a subsection of this forum just for live food discussions. You will find many discussions there about the details of daphnia. You can find it by going to the forum main page and look for Live Foods
http://www.caudata.org/forum/

I agree with Morg's advice: use the largest tub you can. Outdoors will usually work better than indoors, but if you need daphnia before the weather gets warm then you may need to grow them indoors.

Old 23rd February 2010   #4
herman
(dutch guy)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: dutch guy has shown reliable knowledgedutch guy has shown reliable knowledge

if you try to keep daphnia inside you have to place a light airpump with a air stone in the water, so that there is a good oxygen flow or else the daphnia dies after a day or so, we feet our axie larvae's naupili when we can't get daphnia's, this wil work but you have to remove the leftovers because, your water get's filthy because the brine shrimps are verry salty

dutch guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2010   #5
NewGuy1
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Rep: NewGuy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yea I found Brine Shrimp so I am culturing some of them for now because it was the fastest sure source of food that I could find. I am still searching for a place to buy some daphnia eggs to culture myself. Until I find a source of supply I will just have to take the extra time to clean the tank daily for now.

NewGuy1 is offline   Reply With Quote