The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Old 25th September 2012   #1
Sky
(Sky Diamond)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Sky Diamond has a given some bad advice or info, or has behaved inappropriately
Default Can Axolotls Handle Stress Coat+ / Stress Zyme+?

Hi everyone,

Just wondering, can axolotls have Stress Coat+ and/or Stress Zyme+ put in their tank at full dose and both of the treatments in the tank at the same time?

Thanks.

Old 25th September 2012   #2
Dinky!
(NeekaLovesYou)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 28
Comments: 3
Rep: NeekaLovesYou has given consistently good advice and informationNeekaLovesYou has given consistently good advice and informationNeekaLovesYou has given consistently good advice and informationNeekaLovesYou has given consistently good advice and information
Default Re: Can Axolotls Handle Stress Coat+ / Stress Zyme+?

If it's a treatment more designed for fish, I'd say no. It can do more harm than good to axies.

Old 26th September 2012   #3
Johnny O. Farnen
(SludgeMunkey)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 42
Comments: 9
Rep: SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11

Depends. Think of it this way, how well would you fair immersed in a slime of aloe juice and table salt? (Those are the active ingredients in most "slime coat" products for fish...)

SludgeMunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2012   #4
Jasper
(jasper408)

Nationality:
Rep: jasper408 has given consistently good advice and informationjasper408 has given consistently good advice and informationjasper408 has given consistently good advice and informationjasper408 has given consistently good advice and information

Quote:
Originally Posted by SludgeMunkey View Post
Depends. Think of it this way, how well would you fair immersed in a slime of aloe juice and table salt? (Those are the active ingredients in most "slime coat" products for fish...)
There's a theory that it "works" by stressing the fish with those two ingredients, therefore causing it to produce more slime. Does not sound fun.

jasper408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2012   #5
Sky
(Sky Diamond)

Nationality:
Rep: Sky Diamond has a given some bad advice or info, or has behaved inappropriately

Oh, I've never heard those things about it before. I know the Stress Zyme says its all natural and it has live bacteria in it to help with the PHs of the tank and balance out the water. I was just looking at it to help with high nitrite and to get rid of some slug in my tank. Also was looking at the Stress Coat for a cut my axolotl had, but it's all healed up now.

Thanks for the in put though. :)

Old 28th September 2012   #6
Harpii

Nationality:
Rep: Harpii has started on the right path

I've never used it but ive heard its bad for them, for the high nitrite i can only suggest keep up with regular 20% water changes, possibly daily? Im sure someone can give you more specific advise on how often but i think thats they only thing that will lower it.

Harpii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2012   #7
Lindsay
(celticcrow77)

Nationality:
Comments: 11
Rep: celticcrow77 has given good advice and informationcelticcrow77 has given good advice and information

StressCoat+ is simply a tap water dechlorinator that has some extra aloe to help promote a healthy slime coat, and since I've had my tanks, that's what I've been using to dechlorinate my water. I've seen no ill effects on my axolotl, or my fish (in separate tanks). However, I've been using it in the dosage suggested for normal water changing, not for treating an illness.

I can't say anything about StressZyme, as I've never used it. As far as I can tell from other posts, most people try to control their water chemistry through simple water changes amd cycling rather than adding chemicals. It's probably safer for the axolotls to control it that way.

celticcrow77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2012   #8
Sky
(Sky Diamond)

Nationality:

That's fair enough, I'm pretty sure the Stress Zyme is the best of the two as far as I've read on the bottle. It says all natural and the other does not. I still won't try it though until I find the answer.

Does anyone know how to get rid of algae safely? I got a ton of it in my tank and I can't keep it down. It's brown algae, I've been told brown algae is a sign of over feeding, but I'm not over feeding them. One day it'll be all over the plants and then the next day some of it has disappeared. I heard Stress Zyme helps with that also, that was one of the other reasons to why I was asking.

Old 1st October 2012   #9
Kaysie
(Kaysie)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

If you're going to use one or the other for dechlorinator, go with stress coat. The less chemicals you use in a tank, the better it will be. If you're looking for a simple dechlorinator, get Amquel+. It contains only a dechlorinator and nothing else.

And don't believe everything you read. Pet product packaging is not regulated like people product packaging. "All natural" doesn't really mean anything.

The best way to get rid of brown algae is to scrub it off and do frequent water changes.

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote