The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Photo & Video Gallery The place to share and discuss photos and videos of newts and salamanders.

Old 15th October 2004   #1
rickard

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Since i got my new digital camera i have truck loads of pictures, but nobody to show them to Click the image to open in full size..... so enjoy Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.

Old 15th October 2004   #2
ira

Gallery Images:
Comments:

very nice! Click the image to open in full size.

Old 15th October 2004   #3
jeremy

Gallery Images:
Comments:

i like the first one it looks like he's pushing through cellophane. very cool!

Old 15th October 2004   #4
benjamin

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Great PicsClick the image to open in full size.!!!

Old 15th October 2004   #5
mike(nathan)

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Nice c. ensicauda Click the image to open in full size.

Old 15th October 2004   #6
jennifer

Gallery Images:
Comments:

That second photo is beautifully "posed". I see in the third photo that your male has some breeding color on his tail. Thanks for the photos.

Old 15th October 2004   #7
jason

Gallery Images:
Comments:

What are the plants in the background of the second pic? I see them often on the site, but never in any stores around here. I'd like to get some.

Old 15th October 2004   #8
joseph

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Jason: Thats anacharis, or otherwise known as Elodea. Quite common, but in most petstores it arrives in poor shape and dies soon after being put into a tank(plus, it doesn't do very well in low light situations).

If you can find a pond person who removes it from their koi pond by the bucketload, or otherwise a planted tank aquarist...then they will be able to give you healthy starter plants-and you should be able to keep them providing your conditions are good enough.

But I would reccomend java fern and java moss(perhaps anubias or cryptocrynes if you wish) over anacharis...they are much hardier.

Old 16th October 2004   #9
jesper

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Just like to clear up one thing up:
Egeria Densa is a plant that was separated from Elodea in 1961. The genus Elodea used to be Anacharis(Is now used as a common name I suppose).
I have understood things like this:
1.Did you get it from outside? Then you most probably have an Elodea species, this species thrives in cold water, ponds etc.
2.Did you buy it from a pet shop? Then you most likely have Egeria densa. Egeria densa tolerates warm water.

Some people dislike this plant others love it.....
Why? I think Egeria densa needs a lot of light and tolerates warm water while Elodea needs cool water but do not need as much light.

Very nice C.e.ensicauda Rickard. I Shall register them tomorrowClick the image to open in full size.

Old 16th October 2004   #10
rickard

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Thanks for the nice comments! Click the image to open in full size.
Here are a few more

Old 16th October 2004   #11
jesper

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Wow, the one to the left almost have a reddish belly. Not much black on their bellies or?
What are you feeding them by the way?

Old 16th October 2004   #12
rickard

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I mostly feed them earthworms + red and white mosquito worms. The two in the bottom picture only have a small portion of black on their bellies.

Old 18th October 2004   #13
jennifer

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I suspect that, in the case of C. ensicauda, genetics and the diet during "childhood" have an effect on the belly color, but the diet during adulthood has little or no effect.

Tags
cynops, ensicauda

(View-All Members who have read this thread since 25th December 2019, 15:43 (Set) (Clear)

There are no names to display.