The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

Old 14th March 2019   #1
stellaxtine

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: stellaxtine is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Effectiveness of Fans

Just how effective are fans for bringing the temp down in your tanks? What is the max temp drop?

I don't currently have an axolotl and I am dying to get my hands on one but I can't even decide if it would be humane because of how hot it gets where I live. It gets up to 120F / 49C in the summer. I do have an AC and I set it at 78F / 25C once summer hits. If I did have an axolotl, it would be in a 20 gallon tank with 3 sides and bottom insulated. How cool would the water even be at that point?

stellaxtine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2019   #2
Hayley
(Hayleyy)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Hayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Effectiveness of Fans

Insulation will help to keep the temperature down, and the air con will do wonders. In my experience a fan alone will drop it about 3-5 degrees, depending on the size of the fan in relation to the size of the tank. Temps get similar where I live and I found it wasn't enough, though I do not have air con so it was a real struggle. With air con, a fan and insulation it may be enough. If it isn't I would highly recommend a chiller. They are pricey but since you don't have an axolotl yet you can wait around for sales.

Hayleyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2019   #3
abiwankenobi

Nationality:
Rep: abiwankenobi is an unknown quantity at this point

I find using fans extremely effective, and I live in FL. For my 40 Breeder axolotl tank, I bought egg crate from home depot and cut it to size to use as an open-face "lid" of sorts for the tank. I have a fan sitting on top of it right now blowing on the surface of the water. Before adding the fan, the water was at 69F, and after an entire day with the fan on, it lowered to 62F. So that's a 7 degree difference right there. It's worth noting that we keep our house at around 69 all day long, so YMMV.

abiwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #4
genderlich

Nationality:
Rep: genderlich is an unknown quantity at this point

How noisy is a fan?

genderlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5
catlemon

Nationality:
Rep: catlemon is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by genderlich View Post
How noisy is a fan?
I'd like to also ask this question. I am trying to decide on what to do for my babies. Their energy and eating habits have very noticeably changed since the winter, so I have a suspicion it's the heat. My tank is at 71.4 degrees right now, and it's only April. I think the air conditioner will keep it around there even in the summer, but I'm just so worried that the temperature is stressing them.

How loud are fans? And would they bring down the temperature enough?

I have my eye on a chiller, but what else do you need to make them work?

Thank you so much for helping!

catlemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #6
Kingfisher

Nationality:
Rep: Kingfisher has started on the right path

A fan might drop the temperature by about 5įF. I used just a regular house fan and it wasn't very loud.

Kingfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #7
Hayley
(Hayleyy)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Hayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

I got a cheap fan on ebay and it wasn't very loud. Though I did drop it in the tank once and ever since it's been extremely noisy lol

Hayleyy is offline   Reply With Quote