The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

Old 19th October 2018   #1
MattIX

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: MattIX is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Axolotl broken tail?

Hello everyone.

Iíve never needed to post on here before but Iím in need of some advice.

I have had my Axie for just over half a year now. He has been doing great and is a lovely little guy with a fantastic personality.

Yesterday I noticed that his tail was bent at the tip and knowing this is a sign of stress I went to investigate. He was showing no other signs of stress, still eating, gills back, acting completely normal, however his tail is so bent that it looks like the tip of his tail bone is poking through his skin.

He is in a well planted, 23 gallon tank with no tank mates and the water parameters are;

Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 5-10
PH between 7.8 and 8.4 (with regular water changes)

My only thought is that he has damaged it somehow, or is there something more serious that could be causing it?

Any opinions or help would great!
Thanks,
Matt.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B7318F24-3216-4340-ABD7-07B86623CA30.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	448.6 KB
ID:	54532   Click image for larger version

Name:	55516F7E-6A59-4B5F-82BC-8A64BF7CEF6D.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	318.1 KB
ID:	54533  

MattIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2018   #2
Hayley
(Hayleyy)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Hayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Axolotl broken tail?

Is it on the surface or does it look like the bone is sticking out?

Hayleyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2018   #3
Hayley
(Hayleyy)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Hayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

I just re-read your post, ignore the one above haha.
Are there any small spaces in the tank the axolotl could have gotten stuck in, causing the issue? It should heal up fine, but he may be left with a wonky tail. You could potentially amputate the end of the tail, or take it to a vet to do it.

Hayleyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2018   #4
MattIX

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: MattIX is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for responding!

Iíve been trying to work out if there is anything he could have got trapped on but there isnít really. He does have a habit of swimming around like a lunatic at night and bumps into the glass a lot and he gets himself in strange positions sometimes so it could have happened then. I donít think the bone has actually broken the skin so if it just means heíll have a wonky tail Iím fine with that, as long as heís healthy and not bothered by it. I was just worried it might have been something more serious.

Thanks again. Feeling a bit more calm about it now.

MattIX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axolotl, broken tail, sickness