The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Introductions Area Where new members introduce themselves.

Old 16th August 2019   #1
mudpuppy momma

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: mudpuppy momma is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Amphibian lover from Wisconsin

Hello everyone,

I am from WI and I have been crazy about amphibians since I was 7 or 8 years old. It all started when some friends and I found a pond near our bike trail. We caught critters of all shapes and sizes. Made for great summers in a small town.

I have been raising amphibians since then. Tadpoles, frogs, and toads were my specialty. I have hunted salamanders and mudpuppies for many years with little success. With lots of research and trial and error, I have raised my different frogs, toads, and tadpoles. My favorite has been the african clawed frog. Raised them from tadpoles in my classroom for many years.

I am currently raising 3 gray tree frogs, 4 gray tree frog tadpoles, and a (possible) mudpuppy.

I joined because I would love to learn more. More on how to find, raise, and teach others about amphibians.

I am a first time (possible) mudpuppy momma and will have a bunch of questions about care. I say possible because I have always wanted to have a mudpuppy but the one characteristic that separates a mudpuppy from a tiger salamander larvae, that I can find online, is 4 or 5 toes on the feet. With that information I have a tiger salamander. But with several other pieces of information, I am holding hope of it being a mudpuppy ! I know I will find help here.

Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kirby.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	263.9 KB
ID:	55826  

Last edited by mudpuppy momma; 16th August 2019 at 15:29. Reason: add a photo
mudpuppy momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2019   #2
Herpin Man

Nationality:
Rep: Herpin Man has given consistently good advice and informationHerpin Man has given consistently good advice and informationHerpin Man has given consistently good advice and informationHerpin Man has given consistently good advice and information
Default Re: Amphibian lover from Wisconsin

Welcome to the forum. I, too, am a lifelong amphibian lover.
However, you may have to change your name to tiger salamander larva momma, because that's what you have.
The good news is that tigers are usually more personable, and easier to keep, than mudpuppies.

Herpin Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2019   #3
Viking

Nationality:
Rep: Viking is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Amphibian lover from Wisconsin

Welcome to the forum. Now you should get some axolotls and newts. LOL I am in a small town a less than 200 miles from you.

Viking is offline   Reply With Quote