The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Old 1 Week Ago   #1
Emperor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Emperor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Axolotl won't eat nightcrawlers?

Hello! So I've been feeding my juvie bloodworms for the time I've had him. He's 5 inches and I thought it would be a good time to switch to nightcrawlers as they are less messy and better for axolotls than just feeding bloodworms. I started trying around a week ago. I cut one into 4 pieces and fed two of them to him and he successfully ate all I gave him and passed it.
The next day I did the same thing and it was successful again. However on the 3rd day he ate the part and spat it out. I thought the piece may have been too big so I cut in half but then he just refused to eat it. I fed him bloodworms that night and he ate them (So he is eating) this has repeated for the past 4 days. He is eating bloodworms everyday and isn't showing any signs of stress. Should I try something else or is there anyway to prep the nightcrawler so he won't spit it out?

Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #2
Hayley
(Hayleyy)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: Hayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Axolotl won't eat nightcrawlers?

I'd imagine he needs some time to get used to it. You could try blanching the worm, it'll kill it right away so it wont wiggle, in case that is the issue to the axie. You can go without feeding one day then offer some nightcrawler segments to see if the hunger will get him to eat it. There might be more guides on here somewhere on introducing new foods :)

Hayleyy is offline   Reply With Quote