The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

Old 1 Week Ago   #1
Opumilio

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Opumilio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Chiller, pump and filter

Hello!

This is a really naive question from a newbie owner.
I have an adult male that I adopted from a friend recently.

I recently managed to borrow a idle chiller from my lab for at least the coming summer.
(perks of being a researcher in an amphibian lab)

Itís an Aqua Euro 1/4hp, a giant overkill for my 20 gal tank.
(may upgrade to a larger tank later and get my own chiller, but donít have the money now...)
I have a basic hang-on filter that came with the tank.
I am now shopping for a pump/filter pump that could go with the borrowed chiller.

So the question is, should I get a pump to hook up to the chiller, and keep the filter?
Or should I get a pump that also filters (is there a product like that?)
Any recommended product? ( Iím in the US)

Or would you recommend just invest in a canister filter?
Do you still need a pump for it?
Also, probably an overkill again for my tiny 20 gal...

Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	62893BD2-6A27-4DFF-886D-8CA0EFA8FCF3.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	447.4 KB
ID:	55297   Click image for larger version

Name:	4A8D4F58-52E8-4DC8-921C-4B727ACD511F.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	550.9 KB
ID:	55298  

Opumilio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #2
Hayley
(Hayleyy)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Hayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Chiller, pump and filter

If you want to keep your HOB filter then you'll need a pump that matches the chiller. I'm not well versed in the details but you can look up a manual for the chiller you have and it should have a pump guide. It'll probably be in litres or gallon per hour. You may need to buffer the output if the flow is high.
The downside to using a pump is that unless you have a sump the pump will heat up the tank slightly, so the chiller will need to be on for longer/more frequently. There may be external pumps but I am not familiar with them.
The easiest thing is an external canister filter. It's got the pump attached to it (most of the time). I have a basic set up at the moment for my juveniles using a Sunsun brand canister filter attached to my chiller, as well as a sponge filter. Sunsun is cheap, but some don't come with pumps so make sure to check. Mine is one of the smaller models but it's doing the job well and is super quiet.
Hope that helps :)

Hayleyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3
Opumilio

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: Opumilio is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you!

I looked Sunsun canister filter up and it is surprisingly non-expensive compared to the other brands!

Ordered one and looking forward to setting up!

Opumilio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Days Ago   #4
Hayley
(Hayleyy)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Hayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Goodluck!

Hayleyy is offline   Reply With Quote