The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Old 4th January 2009   #1
hovo626

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: hovo626 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default can anybody ship any axoltol to california?

southern california?

hovo626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2009   #2
Ian Faux
(IanF)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 9
Comments: 10
Rep: IanF has given consistently good advice and informationIanF has given consistently good advice and informationIanF has given consistently good advice and informationIanF has given consistently good advice and information
Default Re: can anybody ship any axoltol to california?

Axoltols are illegal to own in California.

Old 4th January 2009   #3
Nathan
(Nathan050793)
Caudata.org Donor

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: Nathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Unfortunately, it is illegal to posses/sell/trade any members of the genus Ambystoma, including axolotls in the state of California. If you search the forum there are several threads explaining the reasoning behind these laws.

If you are still interested in Caudates, I suggest you look into getting as newt, Pleurodeles waltl, for example- they are large, personable, and fully aquatic, just like axolotls.

Wollemi
(Look around you)
-Australian Aboriginal saying

Nathan050793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2009   #4
Sharon
(ferret_corner)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: ferret_corner has given consistently excellent advice and informationferret_corner has given consistently excellent advice and informationferret_corner has given consistently excellent advice and informationferret_corner has given consistently excellent advice and informationferret_corner has given consistently excellent advice and information

What are some caudates he could own in Cali?

Sharon

ferret_corner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009   #5
Jennewt
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

Nice question, Sharon.

If you like axolotls, you might also like mudpuppies (Necturus) or sirens. Unfortunately, there aren't many that are available captive-bred.

Another point I would make is that So Cal is hot, and it may be more sensible to keep animals that don't need to be kept cold - tropical frogs, for example.

Old 5th January 2009   #6
hovo626

Nationality:

that sucks...
i was aware of axolotls being illegal i stilll want one
ill check china town0_o

Old 5th January 2009   #7
hovo626

Nationality:

i wouldnt mind having a mudpuppy either...
by anychance would you know where they
are sold ?

Old 6th January 2009   #8
Nathan
(Nathan050793)
Caudata.org Donor

Nationality:
Rep: Nathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovo626 View Post
ill check china town0_o
I would advise you to be aware that this is a public forum, and it is places like this that those who enforce laws (such as those banning the keeping of axolotls in CA) often check for illegal activity. It is probably in your best interest to refrain from making posts like this.

Wollemi
(Look around you)
-Australian Aboriginal saying

Nathan050793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2009   #9
Eva
(blueberlin)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 3
Rep: blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11

Quote:
that sucks...
ill check china town0_o
Then you are in the wrong place here. This forum consistently supports upholding laws, not finding ways to break them.

Quote:
i wouldnt mind having a mudpuppy either...
by anychance would you know where they
are sold ?
As Jen wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennewt View Post
If you like axolotls, you might also like mudpuppies (Necturus) or sirens. Unfortunately, there aren't many that are available captive-bred.
Perhaps you should read up a bit more first on the types of animals (legally) available to you and easily properly cared for in your area. If you are looking for information, then you are in the right place here.

-Eva

Albert Einstein
blueberlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2009   #10
shellysue

Nationality:
Rep: shellysue has started on the right path

OK I am paranoid, but this sounds a bit like a trap

shellysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2009   #11
Shadow

Nationality:
Rep: Shadow has started on the right path

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellysue View Post
OK I am paranoid, but this sounds a bit like a trap
What do you mean by trap?

Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2009   #12
Sharon
(ferret_corner)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: ferret_corner has given consistently excellent advice and informationferret_corner has given consistently excellent advice and informationferret_corner has given consistently excellent advice and informationferret_corner has given consistently excellent advice and informationferret_corner has given consistently excellent advice and information

Its a trap to see if anyone will actually send an illegal animal to california under fraudulant circumstances.

But I doubt it. The person is open to an actual legal animal.

Sharon

Old 7th January 2009   #13
Kaysie
(Kaysie)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

Anyone who agrees to or requests that someone else break the law, either publicly or privately, will be banned from this forum.

Furthermore, there are laws in place for a reason. One may not agree with them, but they are still laws. Laws that are in place to protect wildlife are not frivolous, and should not be overlooked. Law enforcement officials have been known to read this board and other public forums like it, looking for people who are not in compliance with the law. I hate to be a fear monger, but they will find you. And if you're breaking the law, you deserve it.

Hovo, I suggest you focus your efforts on finding another species which is legal, and just as cool as axolotls. Pleurodeles are a top choice for reasons already listed. Mudpuppies, while looking like axolotls, usually aren't the best choice for pets. They're not as active as axolotls, and I think tend to be more sensitive to water quality.

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2009   #14
Pete
(pete)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 24
Rep: pete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Those in CA that desire axolotls should strongly consider writing their lawmakers. This state has a strong history of political activism and advocacy. I agree that people should observe the laws, but they should not feel unable to change the laws. There are a number of flaws in the blanket banning of a genus in one of the largest states with such a variety habitats that can be found. However that discussion is best left to another thread. This is actually an important issue for caudate owners, because what starts in California often spreads to the rest of the country. Tiger salamander's range spans much of the country and axolotls could pose potential interbreeding problems in any of those populations, so a similar argument could be made in a number of states.

pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2009   #15
Sharon
(ferret_corner)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Hovo - I've seen the pleurodeles for sale here. Not sure when but keep cash on hand and keep an eye out. Oh and search the "For Sale" forum to get an idea of price.

Are you an experienced tank keeper? Are you concientious about water conditions?

This site is a gold mine of valuable information. Check out each of the species listed by Jenn and Nathan.

You were probably trying to be flippant but for good reason the board here cracks down allusions to illegal activities.

Read this site, get informed, LEARN and then move forward in being a responsible pet owner. Heck if a kid can get the laws changed regarding hedgehogs in his town, who knows what you can do?

Sharon

Tags
axoltol, california, california?, ship