The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Old 11th June 2018   #1
RoreyRoreyRorey

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 2
Rep: RoreyRoreyRorey has given good advice and informationRoreyRoreyRorey has given good advice and information
Default African Clawed Frog spending a lot of time at the surface?

Froggo is still calling, but recently he has been spending a lot of time at the surface with his head sticking out. Whenever I go near the tank, he will dive back under and behave normally. Is the fact that he is spemding so much time with his head sticking out of the water bad? Or is just him checking out his surroundings?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	394BA567-0C6B-45CC-9AAB-47FC0A2ACD5D.jpeg
Views:	38
Size:	376.0 KB
ID:	53439  

RoreyRoreyRorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2018   #2
nai live
(xxianxx)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 7
Rep: xxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: African Clawed Frog spending a lot of time at the surface?

It's normal behavior. Get him a female, he's ready for love lol

Old 12th June 2018   #3
RoreyRoreyRorey

Nationality:
Rep: RoreyRoreyRorey has given good advice and informationRoreyRoreyRorey has given good advice and information

Way ahead of you on that! Unfortunately, after checking with 12 stores, only small ones are available. I picked up two little ones that I was told are females. Meet Hook and Shadow! I am keeping them in a separate tank until they are big enough that they will not be a snack for Froggo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1F792645-226F-4238-84CC-C0C410ED1BB5.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	432.0 KB
ID:	53441   Click image for larger version

Name:	46B7B7A1-878B-4C53-8664-113935370C69.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	425.9 KB
ID:	53442  

Old 13th June 2018   #4
nai live
(xxianxx)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 7
Rep: xxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

How did they know small juvies we're female ? The usual methods are only applicable to adults, size difference, females are twice the size as males, prescence of nuptial pads in males and male calling. Females will call but it's only in response to unwanted amplex.

Old 13th June 2018   #5
RoreyRoreyRorey

Nationality:

They had said that females had thicker legs and a small bit of extra skin between the back legs. If they aren’t females, that would be a bit disappointing, but I would still keep them. I suppose I will have to wait until they mature to see if they are actually female.

Tags
african clawed frog