The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) The largest, and one of the most diverse groups of salamanders, these salamanders have all evolved to breathe solely through their skin and are found almost exclusively in North America.

Old 21st December 2008   #1
Henk Wallays
(henk_wallays)
Caudata.org Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 64
Comments: 1
Rep: henk_wallays is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orghenk_wallays is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orghenk_wallays is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orghenk_wallays is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orghenk_wallays is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orghenk_wallays is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Desmognathus found

After having seen some Desmognathus on my Appalachian trips (now some years ago unfortunatelly ) I was offered a group from another keeper and wanted to give it a try. For the first year I did get eggs , but no larvae unfortunatelly. Then in the fall I was able to get my hand on 2 more animals which I think are D. marmoratus . During the last week I obtained a call from a pet shop owner they had nice salamanders and indeed they had : some Neurergus kaiserii , 2 Desmognathus and a large group of very odd Tiger salamanders. I informed the National Zoo on the N. kaiserii which they bought for their captive programm and couldn't resist the Demsognathus which -although I have on locality data on them - I think to be quiete beautifull D. quadramaculatus ...
So my group of Desmognathus seems to grow well and although I do not exactly know which animals the first group are , they do seem to do very well and proove to be quite hardy. I'm sure there are at least 2 species if not 3 among them. Anyway... I herewith want to share you some images of these nice ones I just got in (blackbellieds).
Will try to make shots of the other ones during this week (I have to do something in these holydays ;-))))
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05213 klein.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	333.4 KB
ID:	5005   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05232 klein.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	248.1 KB
ID:	5006   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05221 klein.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	250.0 KB
ID:	5007  

henk_wallays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2008   #2
taherman
Caudata.org Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 1
Rep: taherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Desmognathus found

Great looking animals Henk!

I'd love to see some photos of the marmoratus. After a few years of resisting, I'm finally starting to appreciate the "confusing fall warblers" of the salamander world :)

-Tim

taherman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
desmognathus, found