The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

Old 22nd May 2016   #1
CortAndCat

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: CortAndCat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default When can I feed my axolotl pellets?

Hey all, had a question. When can I start feeding my axolotl, Abe, pellets? He's over 5 inches long and is about 4 months old. I've tried finding this answer elsewhere but haven't had any luck. Thanks for your time and consideration.

CortAndCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2016   #2
Donna
(Donna001)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Donna001 has given good advice and informationDonna001 has given good advice and informationDonna001 has given good advice and information
Default Re: When can I feed my axolotl pellets?

What are you feeding him at the moment?
My juveniles were a bit younger/smaller than that when I moved them onto a diet of mainly earthworms, as these are the more nutritionally complete food for axolotls, with some pellets, prawn and mussels for variety.
Sometimes it can be quite difficult to change their diet, and you may need to keep trying to offer worms and pellets to get him to change.
If you have a look at the "feeding" section in the link this will give you some information on diet.
Caudata Culture Axolotl Articles
Best of luck and please keep us posted on your progress.

Donna001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2016   #3
CortAndCat

Nationality:

He's currently being fed frozen bloodworms. The bloodworms are thawed beforehand, of course. Also, thanks for all the support! :)

Last edited by CortAndCat; 22nd May 2016 at 17:01.
Old 22nd May 2016   #4
Samantha
(SammyTheLotus)

Nationality:
Rep: SammyTheLotus has shown reliable knowledge

Like Donna said, earthworms are the best diet for a lotl, and mine were around your size when I started offering those to them! It didn't take long at all, and they go crazy for them! Pellets on the other hand took a little more getting used to, but just be patient and eventually they'll at least give them a try! :)
What kind of pellets do you have for your little guy? :)

SammyTheLotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2016   #5
Michael Shrom
(michael)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Rep: michael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

I start my axolotls on Soft moist salmon pellets when they are 2 to 3 inches long. The pellets are a more nutritionally complete diet than frozen bloodworms. Salmon pellets are accepted quickly by axolotls and no training is needed. They are easier to use and less expensive than earthworms. I feed 3/32" pellets to small axolotls and 5/32" pellets to larger axolotls.

michael is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2016   #6
CortAndCat

Nationality:

@Samantha, we haven't started feeding Abe any pellets yet. We don't own any at this point. But we are considering making the change. Thanks for all the help, you guys! :)

Old 23rd May 2016   #7
Donna
(Donna001)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Donna001 has given good advice and informationDonna001 has given good advice and informationDonna001 has given good advice and information

There are quite a few types, salmon pellets are suggested, as well as all the different types specifically for axolotls. They are much less messy than feeding bloodworms, and a much less gross than feeding live earthworms.
I have also fed my fellas on strips of raw fish, which they also seemed to enjoy, but I think that worms and pellets are better for them for a complete diet.

Donna001 is offline   Reply With Quote