The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Old 2nd December 2019   #1
Acacia

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Acacia has started on the right path
Default Morphed Axolotl/Tiger Salamander Not Eating (2 weeks)

Lasagna is my morphed axolotl. Out of the 4 axolotls that I raised from the same batch of eggs, he was the only that morphed, despite being kept under the same conditions. I treat him as a tiger salamander.

Around four weeks ago, I changed Lasgana's dirt to include coco fiber. It is a roughly 1:3 ratio of coco fiber to dirt, as opposed to only dirt. The dirt is from the same bag. Before, Lasagna had been regularly eating 2-3 times a week. After making the switch, he still ate 3 worms a week.

November 18 was when he last ate. It has been two weeks.
I try to feed him every two days (nightcrawlers and redworms). The thing is, he responds when I wiggle my fingers. He snaps at worms, but he just doesn't grab them. He chases anything that moves. He just doesn't eat.

Here's some extra unconnected information, just in case it helps:
There are no obstruction in his mouth and he still poops. I also saw something that looks like a moult in his tank. Temperature is 65-70F. He spends most of his time burrowed underneath the dirt. He is a confirmed male. The dirt is moist. He resides in a 10g glass tank with a (temporary) aluminum foil top. He hasn't used his water bowl since 2 weeks prior either. The worms are small enough to fit in his mouth, but I have tried with larger ones too. He is 13 months old and morphed at 9 months. He weighs 60g (up 5g from a month ago?) but looks skinny.

Do you have any ideas as to why he won't eat? I don't think he's purposefully starving himself, seeing as he snaps at moving worms and my fingers.

Is there anything I can give him that's irresistable? At this point I'm not too concerned about fat content or Ca:K ratios, I just want him to eat something.

Acacia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2019   #2
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11
Default Re: Morphed Axolotl/Tiger Salamander Not Eating (2 weeks)

I might try a wax worm? I noticed though that the appetite of my newts goes down some when it's cooler weather.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2019   #3
Acacia

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Acacia has started on the right path
Default Re: Morphed Axolotl/Tiger Salamander Not Eating (2 weeks)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterwoman View Post
I might try a wax worm? I noticed though that the appetite of my newts goes down some when it's cooler weather.
Ok! I should be receiving waxworms on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Acacia is offline   Reply With Quote