The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

General Discussion & News from Members Post won't fit elsewhere? Post here! This is also the ideal place for your own news, information on books, amphibians in the media, and off-topic posts.

Old 23rd October 2002   #1
keegan

Gallery Images:
Comments:

This seems like an odd question for the newt forum but....

When talking about aquarium sizes, are we talking US gals or Brit gals? (or does the aquarium industry have a standard?)

I figgure out my aquarium and terrarium sizes in a system that makes sense (SI, ie Litres) and I'd like to compare, but I don't know if I should use the 3.78 (US) or 4.54(Brit) conversion.

Old 23rd October 2002   #2
john

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I would assume they are talking in US gallons because I think most Europeans now use litres (and to any UK people who still use Imperial, stop living in the stone age Click the image to open in full size.).

Old 23rd October 2002   #3
keegan

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Click the image to open in full size.
and to the entire nation of the united states of america... ditto!

thanks John.

Old 23rd October 2002   #4
john

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I would offer in defence of the United States that it is such a big country, and without meaning disrespect, most people in the US trade/deal with/know only other people in the US, so as not to require the changing of their system from the old inches/ounces/gallons to cm/gm/litres. If they don't need it, why use it?

On the other side of things, metric does seem to make a lot more sense, but that's me talking as a somewhat biased European scientist Click the image to open in full size..

Tags
(us, aquarium, brit), gals, size

(View-All Members who have read this thread since 19th February 2020, 11:20 (Set) (Clear)

There are no names to display.