The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Large Aquatic Salamanders (Hellbenders/Cryptobranchids, Necturus, Siren, etc.) This topic covers Cryptobranchids like the hellbender and Asian giant salamanders, as well as sirens, mud puppies, and amphiumas.

Old 30th September 2005   #1
sean

Gallery Images:
Comments:

The message below I originaly posted in the Vivaria gallery which probably wasnt the best place for it so I am posting here also because I would like more responses from people with experience with large aquatics. Sorry if this is against the rules.

Here is my recently completed setup for Necturus Maculosus. Although now I am unsure of the legality of me keeping one. Now I am considering a Greater Siren,Amphiuma, or maybe even Axolotls. I have never kept any of these so I dont know what my best bet would be. BTW this setup is a 55gal with 2 30-60 filters and live plants. I made a cave structure out of the large rocks and all of the gravel bed is rocks collected from a mountain stream in Tennessee.I have had this tank setup for about 2 weeks and I gaze at it at least once everyday even though nothing lives in it. It reminds me of the mountain streams that I love so much. The only further plans I have for it is more plants.Anybody have opinions on what would be the best species to live in the tank? Also, Anybody know a source for Sirens?Click the image to open in full size.

Old 30th September 2005   #2
russ

Gallery Images:
Comments:

What state are you in?

Old 30th September 2005   #3
sean

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I am in Georgia where the Mudpuppy is listed as Rare. I believe that is only because its range barely extends into North Georgia. And, this website does not list it as a species that cannot be kept as a pet.
http://georgiawildlife.dnr.state.ga....&txtPage=2

Old 30th September 2005   #4
russ

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I've pondered that page myself. The list does not match the "protected" list from their site below. I'd like to see the actual code or regulation, not a paraphrasing of it (since I'm living in GA now). I'm going to contact DNR and see what I can get for an exact reference. I'll post whatever I can get from them.

Note that there is another species not annotated on any list.

http://georgiawildlife.dnr.state.ga....&txtPage=3

Old 3rd October 2005   #5
russ

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I received some info from John Jensen of the Georgia DNR Nongame-Endangered Wildlife Program. The following rules apply; 27-1-28, 391-4-10, 27-1-30 and 27-4-91. Now under 27-1-28 (see link) it refers to spring lizards. If I remember correctly this is a colloquial term for salamanders/newts/caudates here in the south. So you could collect any of the Necturus species for your set-up.

http://www.legis.state.ga.us/cgi-bin...l?code=27-2-28

Old 3rd October 2005   #6
sean

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Thanks Russ!Thats great news. Now I just have to find a source and get some issues with my tank worked out. Planning on getting any Necturus yourself?

Old 5th October 2005   #7
russ

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I'd love to but my herp room is getting full!

Tags
necturus, setup

(View-All Members who have read this thread since 15th February 2020, 01:35 (Set) (Clear)

There are no names to display.