The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Field Herping Accounts Share your field herpetology experiences with accounts/articles, photos, and advice.

Old 16th November 2008   #1
John
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)
Default Ouachita Mountains, USA - Nov 08

Nate Nelson, his friend Scott, and I went on a camping trip to the Ouachita Mountains in Oklahoma and Arkansas 10 days ago. It was my first true camping trip and I thoroughly enjoyed the experience and the company. We saw quite a few species of amphibian and reptile, and I must give many thanks to Nate and Scott because they were the ones who found 99% of what we saw. I certainly learned a lot about field herping in the process. So here is what we saw.

In our campground we found this Dwarf American Toad (Bufo americanus charlesmithi) who called like a fiend. I nearly stepped on him while I was paying my campsite fees but Nate saved him. I'm a sucker for toads and I was very tempted to take him home with me.

Click the image to open in full size.

We also found this leopard frog:

On the first day we travelled to the Caddo Mountains in Arkansas and in a small forest pond the guys came up with about 3 species of Ranid tadpoles and these Central Newts (Notophthalmus viridescens louisanensis):

Not long after that we found a stream which yielded several species of salamander:

Plethodon albagula, Western Slimy Salamander:

Eurycea multiplicata, Many-Ribbed Salamander:

Desmognathus brimleyorum, Ouachita Dusky Salamander:

And Nate found several Desmognathus brimleyorum larvae:

That night we travelled to a damp Rich Mountain in Arkansas and found all of the target species (and more):

Plethodon ouachitae, Rich Mountain Salamander, Rich Mountain Phase:

Plethodon serratus, Southern Redback:

Eagle-eyed Scott spotted this Gray Treefrog on a rock on top of the mountain:

After we retired for the night it rained quite heavily and the temperature dropped quite a bit. The next morning as we were about to leave Rich Mountain to check out some woodland in Oklahoma, we found a Three Toed Box Turtle crossing the highway (sorry no photo from me). We then drove to southeastern Oklahoma to visit a pond we knew to contain Sirens. Just as we were about to give up on Sirens, Nate netted this guy (who now lives with me thanks to my OK fishing license):

Siren intermedia nettingi, Lesser Siren:

We then drove into the nearby woods. While the guys dove into the trees I spotted this fellow and took a few photos:

Northern? Cricket Frog, Acris crepitans:

The guys found a Sequoyah Slimy Salamander, Plethodon sequyoah:

And a bunch of Spotted Salamanders, Ambystoma maculatum:

And some beautiful Marbled Salamanders, Ambystoma opacum:

They even found a terrestrial Central Newt, Notophthalmus viridescens louisanensis:

As we were leaving these woods we passed some swampland and this Water Moccasin / Cottonmouth, Agkistrodon piscivorus, crossing the road:

In a slightly different part of the same forest we found a stunning Pickerel Frog, Rana palustris (sadly I didn't get to photograph it).

As the light faded we drove north towards Winding Stair Mountain. Before we got there we tried to find Kiamichi Slimy Salamanders and Ambystoma annulatum but we only came up with more Plethodon serratus.

Later that evening we reached Winding Stair Mountain, which yielded more Redbacks and these:

Plethodon ouachitae, Winding Stair Phase:

Eurycea multiplicata, Many-Ribbed Salamander (Nate informs me that this is a yet to be split species/subpecies, and to my eye it is very different to the animal we found in the Caddo Mountains):

So that was the end of the trip for me because I had to drive to Kansas City for that weekend. Nate and Scott herped their way home and found Ambystoma annulatum, as well as Ozark Zigzags and Grotto Salamanders. Hopefully they can add photos to this thread.

I would do it again in a heartbeat. Thanks to Nate and Scott for having me along.

-John

Last edited by John; 17th May 2009 at 08:16. Reason: One of the Plethodon albagula was actually P. sequoyah.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2008   #2
Jacob Bidinger
(Jake)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 10
Rep: Jake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Ouachita Mountains, Nov 08

That second E.multiplicata is beautiful! It looks like it was a good time. Thanks for sharing, John.

Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2008   #3
Nate
(nate)
Lungless Salamander Group

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: nate has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)nate has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)nate has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)nate has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)nate has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)nate has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)nate has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)nate has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)nate has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)nate has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)nate has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

That's an exceptional cricket frog photo, John. I'll add that I don't think either Scott nor myself were taking anymore photos from that point on, so I don't think there's anything to add really. I'll go through my shots this evening and see what jumps out.

The Ouachitas never disappoint!

nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2008   #4
juraj

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 82
Comments: 8
Rep: juraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Nice watching for those who stay stuck at home. New photo equipment ?

juraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2008   #5
Leonard Chakan
(lchakan)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Rep: lchakan has started on the right path

Great photos John! Thanks for sharing. Looks like some winners for next year's calendar competition.

lchakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2008   #6
Ciddian

Nationality:
Rep: Ciddian has started on the right path

a wonderful collection of photos.. <3 The cricket frog and marbled are by far my favorite.

Ciddian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2008   #7
Nathan
(Nathan050793)
Caudata.org Donor

Nationality:
Rep: Nathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Ugh. I'm so Jealous! Great photos- I loved seeing the variation in those maculatum.

Wollemi
(Look around you)
-Australian Aboriginal saying

Nathan050793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2008   #8
Alex Shepack
(tylototriton)

Nationality:
Rep: tylototriton is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgtylototriton is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgtylototriton is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgtylototriton is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgtylototriton is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgtylototriton is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Great post John. Looks like fun.

Old 16th November 2008   #9
C. Hensel
(chensel)

Nationality:
Rep: chensel has started on the right path

Amazing photos. Thanks so much for posting them. I know where my next backpacking trip will be:)

Christina

chensel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2008   #10
Kira
(kira)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: kira has given good advice and informationkira has given good advice and information

Great photos, thanks for sharing. I'm so jealous, in Australia we don't get to see anything like that in their natural environment!!

Old 17th November 2008   #11
Jennewt
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

I like the comparison of the N. v. louisanensis that were found in a pond versus dry land. The skin texture is quite different, and it shows that the adults are quite adaptable to living in water or on land.

Old 17th November 2008   #12
John
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. To Juraj - I've replaced my D80 with a D90 but quite honestly the image quality is almost the same (the 2 megapixel difference is almost imperceivable). Had I known this before selling my D80, I would have kept it. The D90 gives two main advances over the D80: active d-lighting and live view (active d-lighting can be helpful for photographs of dark subjects on bright backgrounds, and live view allows composition without looking through the viewfinder). Frankly though, since I have been shooting exclusively in RAW since 2004, the image quality appears nearly identical to me.

On the subject of the Ouachitas, I fully intend returning at least once in the Spring.

Addendum for Leonard: I took nearly 400 photos over those 2 days so there are plenty of possible Calendar entries . However I am certain the competition will be tough next year, going on the improvement in entry quality we saw this year.

Old 17th November 2008   #13
Peter Lembcke
(onetwentysix)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11

Very nice, John, looks like you had a good time! Great shot of the siren, I can't get enough of those guys. That multiplicata is really cool looking, too. Eurycea are such a cool group. Hopefully you'll find even more in the Spring!

onetwentysix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2008   #14
Mike Benard
(mikebenard)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 2
Rep: mikebenard is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmikebenard is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmikebenard is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmikebenard is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmikebenard is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmikebenard is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmikebenard is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Great post, great photos! I especially liked the shot of the Desmognathus brimleyorum larva because of how it clearly shows the small gills.

Mike

mikebenard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2008   #15
Nate
(nate)
Lungless Salamander Group

Nationality:
Rep: nate has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)nate has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)nate has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)nate has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)nate has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)nate has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)nate has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)nate has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)nate has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)nate has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)nate has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

The Eurycea "multiplicata" found in the Ouachitas are split into two well defined groups from east to west, so the first E. multiplicata shot from the Caddo Mtns. in AR is due to be described as new species and the second animal from Winding Stair in OK will most likely remain E. multiplicata.

Returning to the Ouachitas: I'll be there again in early spring...probably the first week of April.

nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2008   #16
Rodrigo
(Azhael)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 2
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

My eyes....my beautiful eyeeeees...!!! xD Brilliant as always.
I particularly liked the louisianensis too, you rarely see those guys, and the comparison between land/water phase was nice.
Thanx for a great post, really apreciated :)

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2008   #17
Kaysie
(Kaysie)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

A nice haul, fellas. I'm green with envy!

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2008   #18
Justin
(Greatwtehunter)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 298
Comments: 24
Rep: Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11

Looks like you guys had a whale of a time. Seeing your post makes me want to travel out west for a week.

Later,
Justin

Old 18th November 2008   #19
Sam
(lims)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Rep: lims has given good advice and informationlims has given good advice and information
Arrow Re: Ouachita Mountains, Nov 08

well done, there's a lot of different species there..

Old 19th November 2008   #20
Russ Cormack
(rust)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 44
Comments: 5
Rep: rust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgrust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgrust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgrust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgrust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgrust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Makes me miss being an Okie, sometimes.

War is Peace
rust is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
albagula, brimleyorum, desmognathus, eurycea, mountains, newt, newts, notophthalmus, nov, ouachita, ouachita mountains, ouachitae, plethodon, rich mountain, salamander, salamanders, usa, winding stair