The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) The largest, and one of the most diverse groups of salamanders, these salamanders have all evolved to breathe solely through their skin and are found almost exclusively in North America.

Old 5th March 2009   #1
Lamb

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 17
Comments: 9
Rep: Lamb has given consistently excellent advice and informationLamb has given consistently excellent advice and informationLamb has given consistently excellent advice and informationLamb has given consistently excellent advice and informationLamb has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Desmognathus ID?

Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.

I know that Desmognathus IDs can be a pain, but I wanted to get your input as to what Des. species this might be. From what is in the area, I've got it narrowed down to D. auriculatus and D. conanti. I've been looking for the lighter dorsal ragged edged spots that often show up in D. conanti, and hav enot seen them. I know that D. auriculatus as an adult can have various color phases, one of which included dark dorsolateral stripes (like this larvae is showing).

Has anyone seen D. auriculatus or D. conanti larvae? Any tips? Also, any idea how long till morph? From what I've read, it can take a few months, but a friend who raises salamanders says two months tops. This guy is about an inch from snout to tip of tail.

Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2009   #2
taherman
Caudata.org Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 1
Rep: taherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Desmognathus ID?

My first guess is actually a Eurycea, maybe guttolineata from the Desmog options you gave.

taherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2009   #3
Lamb

Nationality:
Rep: Lamb has given consistently excellent advice and informationLamb has given consistently excellent advice and informationLamb has given consistently excellent advice and informationLamb has given consistently excellent advice and informationLamb has given consistently excellent advice and information

Even with the head as wide as it is at the jowls? Granted, I have had little experience with larval caudates, but my herp. professor thinks its a Desmognathus.

Old 6th March 2009   #4
taherman
Caudata.org Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 1
Rep: taherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Ok, looked for a key (a few regional ones online and a complete one in Petranka) to support my hypothesis :) ....I think you can readily distinguish the larvae of Desmognathus by the gills. If the ramus is shorter than the filaments (basically indistinguishable), it's Desmognathus. This results in a clump of long gill filaments that look rather pompom-like. If the filaments are shorter than the ramus and clearly arranged on separate rami it is something else (probably Eurycea since it's a stream-type larva that is definitely not Pseudotriton or Gyrinophilus). Hard to see clearly in the photo, but I'm pretty sure I can see the separate gill rami on your larva.

My general impression of small Desmog larvae is that they have almost no snout, and have eyes situated VERY far forward on the head. Also the longitudinal dark stripes and yellowish coloration make it even more Eurycea-like.

Who is your herp professor? I welcome any corrections if I'm wrong about distinguishing the larvae, but I'm pretty sure that method of IDing desmogs is correct.

-Tim

taherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2009   #5
Lamb

Nationality:

You know, Tim, I think you might be right. I've looked through the keys I could find online, and at positive pictures of Desmog. larval IDs, and the gills don't look right for a Desg. The ramus are larger than the filaments (see the photo attached). Another feature of Desmog., from what I've read, is that their hind limbs are wider than the forelimbs, which is not the case with this guy. I'm sending the pics. around to get more opinions, but I might indeed have a Eurycea on my hands.

Jen
[IMG]file:///Users/jenniferlamb/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///Users/jenniferlamb/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/moz-screenshot-1.jpg[/IMG]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0704.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	5681  

Old 8th March 2009   #6
Lamb

Nationality:

I wasn't sure the photo posted, so here it is. You can see the ramus are longer than the filaments. Click the image to open in full size.

Tags
desmognathus