The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

Old 21st April 2011   #1
Nick
(runic12)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: runic12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default White gills on my axolotl

Okay so my axoltol's gills suddenly seemed to have turned white, it seems that the actual gills themselves have gone white and it is not a growth, but then again I could just be seeing it wrong as I am inexperienced. I read somewhere that when not active sometimes blood doesn't go to the vesses in the gills so they seem white but then they should go back to normal which hasn't happend? I changed the water and I've also moved the tank to a cooler part of the tank, any suggestions?

runic12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2011   #2
Shannon
(dragonlady)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 5
Rep: dragonlady is a mainstay of Caudata.orgdragonlady is a mainstay of Caudata.orgdragonlady is a mainstay of Caudata.orgdragonlady is a mainstay of Caudata.orgdragonlady is a mainstay of Caudata.orgdragonlady is a mainstay of Caudata.orgdragonlady is a mainstay of Caudata.org
Default Re: White gills on my axolotl

Well, if your axolotl is albino or leucistic, then yes, the gills will fade with inactivity. The next time you feed him/her, check back in a few minutes, the gills should have a really nice bright pink-red color. If your axie is just laying around being a typical lazy axolotl, then the gills will be lighter than normal. Typically, faded gills are not a sign of anything wrong.

It is good you are being so observant. Axolotls love to keep their keepers on their toes, so best to be prepared!

dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2011   #3
Nick
(runic12)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Rep: runic12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: White gills on my axolotl

Okay thanks a lot :) I'm going to leave them in the cooler room anyway, it's a constant 18 degrees Celsius down there which is perfect, also darker :) when I kept them in my room I'd stay up quite late with the light on and I was always worried it annoyed them, anyway yeah thanks!

runic12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axolotl, gills, ill., white