The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Old 4th May 2011   #1
Satyrlike
(satyrlike)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: satyrlike has shown reliable knowledge
Question Axolotls/Necturus maculosus living in sin?

What's the rule of thumb about axxies and mudpuppies living together? Is this a no-no?

satyrlike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2011   #2
Carson
(carsona246)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: carsona246 has given consistently excellent advice and informationcarsona246 has given consistently excellent advice and informationcarsona246 has given consistently excellent advice and informationcarsona246 has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Re: Axolotls/Necturus maculosus living in sin?

I would guess it's a no,no. Necturus are wild-caught, so you'd probably be introducing disease into your tank. I'm not sure about care requirements for mud-puppies, but mixing species is usually a bad idea.

carsona246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2011   #3
Eric
(Shizeric)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Rep: Shizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Mudpuppies are pretty territorial, so I would advise against it.

Shizeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2011   #4
Rodrigo
(Azhael)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 2
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

It would involve certain risks that you´re much better off avoiding entirely.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2011   #5
Satyrlike
(satyrlike)

Nationality:

Thanks all, my oldest daughter was wondering about aquiring a mudpuppy. I have a few extra tanks so I think we'll just set it up in one of those. She asked me if they would be "boyfriend and girlfriend" but I honestly have no idea if those can crossbreed. I wouldn't want to mess up the axolotl bloodlines any worse than they already are, so I would be against that anyhow.

Old 4th May 2011   #6
Pete
(pete)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 24
Comments: 1
Rep: pete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

When I had a mudpuppy and an axolotl, there was a point (about 3 months) that I kept them together while I was replacing a tank. The main problem is that mudpuppy's are pretty aggressive about their territory and axolotls are pretty naive. So for the three months they were together my axolotl had a lot of bits on his tail. I imagine this was stressful for the axolotl.

I would strongly advise against it, but in a pinch it can be done. It requires a lot of hides and space for the two animals.

The two animals that I kept together were male axolotl and female mudpuppy. Then never showed any sign of interest in each other, nor would I suspect that they could interbreed.

pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2011   #7
Rodrigo
(Azhael)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 2
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Being from different families, the possibility of succesful crossbreeding is extremely remote if not completely impossible. Crossbreeding inside the same family is possible even between different genera (although this is largely dependent on several factors), but when you deal with different families, it´s just too big a difference.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2011   #8
Satyrlike
(satyrlike)

Nationality:

I'm pretty sure that being new to caudata in general that I'm guilty of "they look alike so I guess they could". hehe

Not to worry, at lunch #1 daughter told me that she'd rather have a leucy since "they're just too cute!". #2 daughter wants a wild since "they have old-man dragon faces".

Old 4th May 2011   #9
Kaysie
(Kaysie)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

Even though they look alike, mudpuppies are pretty ferocious predators, while axolotls are ... they're not so bright.

I mean, mudpuppies are one of the few salamanders that happily inhabit waters with large fish in them. They eat minnows for breakfast!

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote