The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

Old 19th November 2014   #1
AbrahamAxolotl

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: AbrahamAxolotl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Does he need a salt bath?

A couple weeks ago I noticed a white spot on my lotl's gill. Just the one gill. The gill under it however had no filaments left on it after a few days. I got some Prime (my tank seems to refuse a cycle) and with daily water changes I got the ammonia under 1ppm. The white spot went away and the filaments are growing back nicely.

Today however I noticed that the white spot is back and slightly larger than it was last time. I went to the store and bought some aquarium salt in case he needs a salt bath. I'm very worried about doing this (since you have to move him with your hands - I'm so worried I'll hurt him while transferring him from one container to the salt bath and back again). I don't want it to get any worse, though.

He still moves around normally and eats all his food so I know I don't have to fridge him or anything. I'm just wondering if a salt bath would help or if it would be better to see if it goes away again on it's own. I'm just worried it'll get worse since I have NO idea WHY this happened in the first place (water is dechlorinated, I make sure there's no soaps and such on my hands prior to cleaning/water changes, no metals in the tank, no air-sprays in the room, he's the only tank inhabitant, and un-eaten food and poop is removed within a few hours based on when I notice it, never left there).

I've posted some pics in case maybe I'm wrong about this whole thing. (sorry some are blurry and theyre stretched weird - clicking makes them look right)

Click the image to open in full size.

AbrahamAxolotl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2014   #2
nai live
(xxianxx)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 7
Rep: xxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Does he need a salt bath?

It looks like fungus, salt bathing is an option but there are less harsh treatments available
http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-beg...18-fungus.html

Old 19th November 2014   #3
allied123

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: allied123 has shown reliable knowledgeallied123 has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Does he need a salt bath?

It's really hard to tell and I think most people say to get it before it gets worse but in my experience my guys looked like they had white tufts on their gills but before I could really even think about salt bathing (less than 24 hours after I initially saw the white spots) they were gone. I would personally wait and see if it goes away or take a q-tip and very gently try to wipe that one little spot off and again that was just from my personal experience

allied123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gill damage, gill fungus, health, help or advice, salt baths