The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding Eggs everywhere, how did that happen? Will it be albino or wildtype?

Old 10th April 2013   #1
GwenjaminButto

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: GwenjaminButto is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Breeding Axolotls

So my boy (i assume) laid a sperm sack (little cone of clear jelly with a white ball at the top tip)

Overnight it has gone and just left behind is about half the clear jelly, would my female of taken this in or should all the jelly be gone too? I'm just wondering if she's mushed it into the sand or something because last time we saw sperm only 2 eggs followed that didn't develop!!! Is there anything I can do to help them breed??

GwenjaminButto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2013   #2
GwenjaminButto

Nationality:
Default Re: Breeding Axolotls

Quote:
Originally Posted by GwenjaminButto View Post
So my boy (i assume) laid a sperm sack (little cone of clear jelly with a white ball at the top tip)

Overnight it has gone and just left behind is about half the clear jelly, would my female of taken this in or should all the jelly be gone too? I'm just wondering if she's mushed it into the sand or something because last time we saw sperm only 2 eggs followed that didn't develop!!! Is there anything I can do to help them breed??
Another sperm sack has been laid!

Old 11th April 2013   #3
Caitie
(Minniechild)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Minniechild has given consistently excellent advice and informationMinniechild has given consistently excellent advice and informationMinniechild has given consistently excellent advice and informationMinniechild has given consistently excellent advice and information

I think the best thing you can do is to give them time. Sometimes it takes years until a female is ready to breed, and often the first few lays are unsuccessful. Other times you'll believe you're not going to have eggs for months, and then they go and turn the tank into a pool of jelly... The best you can do is ensure the tank is well cycled, set up, their diet is providing them with everything the need to be in the best condition (preferably earthworms, also high qualoty pellets if worms aren't around) you could also start stocking bbs eggs- ebay is great for them at a good price, as well as begin gathering containers for rearing.
Hope you have some luck soon!

Old 12th April 2013   #4
GwenjaminButto

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniechild View Post
I think the best thing you can do is to give them time. Sometimes it takes years until a female is ready to breed, and often the first few lays are unsuccessful. Other times you'll believe you're not going to have eggs for months, and then they go and turn the tank into a pool of jelly... The best you can do is ensure the tank is well cycled, set up, their diet is providing them with everything the need to be in the best condition (preferably earthworms, also high qualoty pellets if worms aren't around) you could also start stocking bbs eggs- ebay is great for them at a good price, as well as begin gathering containers for rearing.
Hope you have some luck soon!
These guy's have already been breeding though! Their previous owner said they did quite well and laid a lot of eggs on sand :/ Either they didn't like the move or I'm doing something wrong!! They boy's laid at least 4 spermatophores now and all of them have had the white bit taken off the top somehow.... I just didn't see how! Hoping it was my girl and they haven't got mushed into the sand!!